Published: 02/01/2014 15:10 - Updated: 02/01/2014 16:59

City crash to league leaders

Peterhead 2, Elgin City 1

ELGIN City suffered an agonising start to 2014 when they conceded a late goal to crash 2-1 at League Two leaders Peterhead.

Jamie Redman fired home two minutes into injury time to break the City hearts.

The result leaves Elgin second bottom of the table and six points off a promotion play off place.

Skipper David Niven had opened the scoring after 13 minutes for Elgin when he fired home from close range after good play by Mark Nicolson.

David Niven gave Elgin an early lead.
David Niven gave Elgin an early lead.

Rory McAllister and Ryan McCann both went close to levelling for Peterhead inside the opening 25 minutes.

Just before the half hour mark, City keeper Raymond Jellema made a smart save to deny McAllister.

Jellema was only able to play after the Borough Briggs club appealed his red card in the 2-1 defeat at Annan Athletic last weekend.

City striker Craig Gunn had an effort blocked after 32 minutes as Elgin pressed.

McAllister then had a chance for the home side but his header from inside the box flew high over the goal.

Bryan Gilfillan then went close for the Blue Toon just before half-time but he dragged his shot wide.

City defender Jamie Duff picked up a yellow card on the stroke of half-time for dissent as Elgin maintained their one goal lead.

Peterhead started the second half on the attack and Ryan McCann went close with an effort following a build up with Gilfillan.

Moments later Craig Gunn set up strike partner Shane Sutherland for a shot which was well saved by Graeme Smith in the Peterhead goal.

Shane Sutherland went close to a second goal early in second half.

Dennis Wyness was shown a yellow card in the 54th minute for diving after going down in the box by Ref Mat Northcroft  who deemed him guilty of simulation.

City midfielder Paul Harkins wasn't far away just before the hour mark when Smith pulled off another good save in the home goal.

The ding dong battle continued when McAllister saw his curling effort well saved by Jellema.

Peterhead levelled on 63 minutes when Graeme Sharp fired home.

Gilfillan and Gunn picked up yellow cards within 60 seconds of each other as the action continued to rage.

Blue Toon striker Andy Rodgers saw a great effort well saved by Jellema as the game entered the closing stages.

With two minutes remaining the Elgin keeper pulled off another good stop to deny Rodgers.

There was agony for Elgin two minutes into injury time when Jamie Redman fired the winner from close range.

Elgin: Jellema, Niven, Duff, Crighton, McMullan, Gunn, Nicolson, Harkins, Urquhart, Sutherland, Wyness. Subs not used: Macleod, McKinnon, McKenzie, Macaulay, Black, Beveridge.

Crowd: 737.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo