Published: 23/09/2017 20:33 - Updated: 23/09/2017 20:50

Elgin get another Bruce bonus

Written byCraig Christie

ELGIN City returned to winning ways with a 3-0 success at home to Montrose on Saturday.Borough Briggs - home of Elgin City

Still stinging from defeat to Annan in their last Borough Briggs game, and losing a 2-0 lead at Berwick last week, City finished off the job against the battling Gable Endies.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the Moray men, though, as Montrose struck the woodwork three times and made another two-goal Elgin lead look precarious for a spell.

However a goal on his 19th birthday by Aberdeen loan striker Bruce Anderson got the Black and Whites going, and further strikes by Brian Cameron and Jamie Reid sealed the win.

Assistant manager Gavin Price was pleased City were this time resolute to claim full points from a position of strength.

“Given what happened the week before it was a hurdle I’m glad we got over,” he said.

Boss Jim Weir switched to a 3-5-2 formation with Morton loan youngster Lewis Strapp and Matthew Cooper deployed in wide midfield roles.

Youngster Anderson, who scored twice on his first start for City in the previous week’s Berwick defeat, again partnered Chris McLeish up front.

It was Anderson who opened the scoring on 19 minutes after great work by Strapp to get to the by-line and cut the ball back.

Montrose defender Sean Dillon hit the home crossbar with a header before the break, while Jamie Redman saw a close range header at the start of the second half saved by City keeper Marc Waters.

On 50 minutes Elgin increased their lead when McLeish was felled by Dillon in the box and Cameron coolly converted the penalty.

Anderson forced a fine save out of Montrose keeper Allan Fleming moments later as Elgin looked to close the game out.

However, City went back into their shell for a period and had to absorb some heavy Montrose pressure.

One deflected shot rocketed down off the underside of Waters’ crossbar with the visitors claiming it had crossed the line. Waters then made an important save, and a minute later watched a speculative Montrose effort dip down on to the post.

Elgin were on the ropes but buoyed by some fresh legs, managed to clinch victory in the last five minutes.

The tireless McLeish set up sub Jamie Reid for a simple finish to earn Elgin the full points.

Elgin: Waters, Cooper (Reid 80), Eadie, McHardy, Bronsky, McGovern (Dodd 66), Anderson (Allan 78), Cameron, McLeish, Reilly, Strapp. Subs: Ferguson, Smith, Sutherland, Dear.

Montrose: Fleming, Ballantyne, Steeves, Allan (Webster 57), Dillon, I.Campbell, Fotheringham (McLaren 57), Redman, Johnston, Callaghan, Hay (Ferguson 68). Subs: Masson, Watson, R.Campbell, Millar.

Ref: Duncan Williams

Att: 549

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo