Published: 22/02/2014 19:01 - Updated: 22/02/2014 19:09

Stirling comeback stuns City boss Wilson

Written byCraig Christie

NEW manager, same old bad habits: Elgin City threw away yet another two-goal lead to the horror of boss Barry Wilson.

Barry Wilson
A Stirling comeback left Elgin City boss Barry Wilson dejected.


The Moray men reached new depths by losing 3-2 at home to Stirling Albion having led 2-0 with just 14 minutes to go.

Wilson watched his side collapse to defeat in the closing stages, and admitted panic set in their ranks from the moment they conceded.

“I genuinely couldn’t see how we were going to lose one goal, far less three,” said a dejected City boss after Saturday’s game.

“We lost one soft goal and then all of a sudden…..panic.”

Stirling’s 86th minute winner was particularly galling for Wilson, with a bad pass back leading to a blocked goalkeeper’s clearance and an empty goal for Jordan White to score into.

“When you lose a goal like that, it’s hard to take because a draw is the least we deserved.”

Having already beaten Albion 4-0 at Borough Briggs this season, Elgin looked on for a repeat result when they led 2-0 at the break.

Centre back Sean Crighton jumped highest to head in Paul Harkins’ corner for the opener on the half hour mark.

And luck appeared to be on City’s side when an off-target Ally MacKenzie shot rattled off team-mate Dennis Wyness and almost embarrassingly trundled into the Stirling net on 39 minutes.

The visitors suffered more bad fortune when a superb White shot smashed off the woodwork ten minutes into the second half.

But the big Stirling front man started off the comeback on 76 minutes with an intricate heel flick from a left wing cross to fox Jellema and send the ball into the City net.

“As soon as that went in, the players told me after the match that it’s happened so many times before and it brought back bad memories,” Barry said. “it’s been happening here for a couple of years now.”

A fired-up Stirling pushed for an equalizer, which came when sub Kieran McAnespie headed home only minutes after coming on.

The comeback was completed when Jellema raced out to try and clear a misguided Jamie Duff passback but the ball cannoned off White, who then beat the City keeper to it and fired into the net.

Mark Nicolson could have levelled in stoppage time but snet a free header over the target.

Elgin, with new assistant boss Graham Bayne on the bench as a trialist, will now look to pick up the pieces of their defeat away to Clyde next weekend.

Don’t miss next week’s Northern Scot print edition for interviews with City number 2 Bayne and on-loan Ross County youngster Gordon Finlayson.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo