Published: 01/02/2014 19:43 - Updated: 03/02/2014 11:16

Agony for Rothes as Formartine snatch win

Written byChris Saunderson

LAST gasp agony for Rothes robbed them of a stunning result against title-chasing Formartine Utd.

The Speysiders looked to have earned a point after Sean McIntosh fired a dramatic equaliser with just six minutes remaining.

Sean McIntosh is all smiles after his late leveller for Rothes. Photo by Daniel Forsyth.
Sean McIntosh is all smiles after his late leveller for Rothes. Photo by Daniel Forsyth.

However, Steve Paterson's side broke Rothes' hearts with almost the last kick of the game when Stuart Anderson bundled the ball home from a Hamish Munro cross.

The 3-2 defeat was cruel on a Rothes side that had battled for 90 minutes and matched the visitors.

Liam Forbes had given Graeme Roy's side a shock first half lead on 32 minutes after a great ball by McIntosh put him through on goal and he kept his cool to guide the ball beyond Andy Shearer.

However, the Rothes defence switched off two minutes later when Anderson's free kick was headed home by Cammy Keith.

Formartine looked to have a grip on the game when good work by Neil McVitie saw Anderson slide in to make it 2-1 just seven minutes into the second half.

The Tangerines refused to buckle and defended stoutly in the face of Formartine pressure.

And they got their reward when a long ball out of defence saw McIntosh break the offside trap and round Shearer before scoring from an acute angle.

With the game deep into injury time, Rothes looked like hanging on for a point until Anderson salvaged three vital points for the Aberdeenshire side.

Graeme Roy said: "It's absolutely soul-destroying; it has just ripped the heart out of us.

"To lose in that manner is devastating. I feel for them today. Hopefully we will get the praise for pushing a title challenger all the way.

"We have got to look at the positives and there are a lot to take out of that game.

"The first goal was a bad goal to lose, especially when you know Cammy Keith is one of the boys you have to mark. and you give him a free header in the box.

"The second goal was a poor goal and the third one somebody let a runner off him and didn't match the run but he knows himself and we don't need to point the finger.

"We will take positives from all over the park and try to get three points next week.

"There are some good players in that dressing if we can get the work ethic right."

Rothes: Horne, Stewart, Thomson, Gallagher, Shortreed, Dunn, C. McIntosh (Ramsay), Dey (Smith), S. McIntosh, Forbes (Rodrigues), Ross. Not used: Corbett, McKendrick.

Lossiemouth built on recent performances with a good point in a goalless draw with Wick Academy at Grant Park.

Lossie had to play out the final seven minutes ten men when skipper Kevin Flett had to leave the game injured after Steve Dunn had used all three subs.

Wick were reduced to ten men late on when Grant Steven was shown a straight red card for a challenge.

Forres Mechanics beat Cove Rangers 3-1 at Mosset Park in a game which will feature on

Scott Moore, Lee Fraser and Kris Duncan were the Can-Cans scorers. with all the goals coming in the second half.

Buckie Thistle earned a point from a 1-1 draw at Inverurie Locos.

Liam Baxter gave the Jags a fifth minute lead and they held that until eight minutes from time when Dean Donaldson levelled.

Strathspey Thistle stunned Nairn County by holding them to a goalless draw.

Clach continued their resurgence with a 2-1 at at Deveronvale; Shawn Scott had given the Banffers a half-time lead but Martin Callum levelled just before the hour and Scott Graham won it three minutes from the end of the game.

Turriff Utd were 3-0 winners at home to Huntly thanks to a first half goal from Lewis Davidson and a Gary McGowan double after the break.

The games at Keith and Fort William were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo