Published: 22/03/2014 18:00 - Updated: 22/03/2014 18:43

Brora overcome battling Rothes

Written byChris Saunderson

BRORA Rangers took another step towards the Highland League title but were made to battle at Mackessack Park.Rothes

Hosts Rothes were beaten 4-0 but the Speysiders competed well against the runaway leaders.

They were undone by two goals in a five minute spell before the break and another two goals in the space of 60 seconds in the second half.

However, Rothes had good chances of their own and Liam Forbes should have opened the scoring after just 10 seconds of the game when Rothes caught Brora cold straight from the kick-off.

Rick Horne made a great double save after 13 minutes to deny Steven Ross and Andrew Greig.

Joao Rodruigues also had a good chance to score before Steven Ross opened the scoring for Brora five minutes before half-time.

And Rothes were unfortunate to concede a second goal two minutes before the interval when Ross Tokely kicked the ball against his own head and it rebounded across the goal for Andrew Greig to head home.

Rothes tried to press the visitors in the second half and Forbes shot wide from the edge of the box.

The visitors sealed the points when a misplaced Michael Dunn header fell to Steven Mackay and he fired home from close range.

And 60 seconds later Greig fired in a terrific fourth goal.

Brora now lead the table by 11 points and are closing in on the title.

Rothes boss Graeme Roy said: "I was really proud of the players' efforts today. We competed and for a lot of the first half we looked the better side and created a few good chances.

"Brora are a quality side and for our side to match them for long periods of the game I am happy with that.

"I think 4-0 flattered them a wee bit.

"We have Fraserbrugh here on Wednesday. If they play in the manner they did today we have no fears. We will go out and have a go at them."

Liam Forbes said: "I thought at times in the first half we were the better team but we just need to start taking our chances.

"I think the first chance came to me a bit too quickly; I wasn't expecting it a chance in the first ten seconds. I sclaffed it wide.

"We matched them all over the park for most of the game."

Forres were 2-1 winners at Strathspey Thistle. Two goals from Lee Fraser in the second half put the Can-Cans ahead before Matty Bobrowski pulled one back for the Grantown side.

It was honours even at Christie Park as former Buckie boss Gregg Carrol saw his Huntly side recover from a 10-0 mauling at Formartine in midweek to secure a point with a goalless draw against visitors Buckie Thistle. Buckie had Liam Baxter sent off six minutes from the end.

Alan Hughes scored a late winner for Wick Academy in their 1-0 win at Keith.

A first half goal from Martin Charlesworth and a late second from Philip Watt secured the points for Deveronvale at home to Lossiemouth.

Nairn County's title hopes suffered a blow when they lost 2-1 away to Clach. Stuart Leslie put Nairn ahead just before half-time, however, a double from Paul Brindle after the break earned the points for Clach.

Craig McKeown got the only goal of the game as Formartine beat Fraserburgh 1-0.

Inverurie Locos were 3-0 winners over Fort William.

Turriff Utd were 1-0 winners over Cove Rangers.


< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo