Published: 15/07/2017 17:26 - Updated: 15/07/2017 17:28

Buckie edged out on Betfred Cup debut

BUCKIE Thistle’s first outing in the Scottish League Cup ended in defeat at Cowdenbeath.Buckie

Jags took the lead against their League 2 hosts before succumbing to a 4-2 defeat in the Betfred-sponsored competition.

Also in Fife, Elgin City took a crushing 6-0 defeat against Championship side Dunfermline Athletic.

Making history on the day were Highland League champions Buckie who played their first-ever match in the tourney.

Cowdenbeath were their first opponents in a group which also contains both Dundee clubs and Raith Rovers.

Jags made a dream start when they won an indirect free kick inside Cowden’s six yard box and Craig Dorrat lashed it goalwards, with the ball taking a deflection before going in.

Strikes by David Syme and Cameron Muirhead turned the tie around in the Fifers’ favour by half time.

But Buckie hit back early in the second half with a goal from half time sub Drew Copeland with one of his first touches of the game.

However the home side restored their advantage quickly through a Syme header, and sub Ryan Connelly wrapped up Cowdenbeath’s win with a fine solo effort late on.

Dundee United beat Raith 2-0 in the other game in the group, and the Tannadice side will next visit Buckie on Wednesday night.

Elgin made a poor start to their campaign as four goals by former Rangers striker Nicky Clark set Dunfermline up for a 6-0 romp.

Clark rose to head home a Kallum Higginbotham free kick inside ten minutes to reward the Pars’ early pressure.

The same player nodded in a second on 20 minutes before Michael Paton fired home from just inside the box to make it three.

Clark completed a first half hat-trick, all from headers, to make it 4-0 on 35 minutes and with many more Dunfermline chances the visitors were happy to hear the half time whistle.

City boss Jim Weir responded with a double half time substitution, taking on new signing Stephen Bronsky for fellow new boy Ross McKinnon and introducing Ali Sutherland in place of Chris McLeish.

The second half was just three minutes old when Clark added to Elgin’s misery by firing home his fourth from a Higginbotham corner.

Clark was later replaced by 17-year-old Callum Smith, who marked his appearance with a last minute goal to wrap up the scoring.

Elgin must now try and regroup for the visit of Premiership side Hearts to Borough Briggs on Tuesday night.

In the other game in their group, Peterhead beat East Fife 1-0.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo