Published: 05/04/2014 18:43 - Updated: 05/04/2014 19:24

Buckie on a high as Low seals semi final

Written byChris Saunderson

TWO Moray teams won through to the semi finals of the Highland League Cup.Andy Low (left) was Buckie's two goal hero.

Buckie Thistle overcame hosts Forres Mechanics 3-1 after extra time at Mosset Park.

And Lossiemouth shocked Huntly 2-1 at Christie Park, with Scott Dunn and Shawn Scott grabbing the goals. Huntly finished the game with just nine men and also had manager Gregg Carrol sent to the stand.

It was not such a good day for Rothes who were thumped 7-0 at Clach.

Inverurie Locos sealed their place in the last four with a 5-2 win at home to Nairn County.

Buckie will now travel to Inverurie Locos in the semi finals while Lossie will visit Clach.

After a goalless first half at Mosset Park in which Forres created the better chances, Andy Low (pictured above) fired Buckie into the lead with 15 minutes remaining.

Things got worse for the Mechanics four minutes later when Scott Moore was shown a second yellow card for a challenge on Iain Macrae and was sent off by referee Graham Beaton.

Just when it looked as if the Jags would see out the game, Kyle Scott popped up with a fantastic headed equaliser with three minutes remaining to take the game into extra time.

No goals in the opening period of extra time increased the likelihood of a penalty shoot out.

Shawn Scott
Shawn Scott grabbed the winner for Lossie at Huntly

A penalty put Buckie in the driving seat in the 109th minute when Duncan Jones was short with a pass to team-mate Craig McGovern inside his own box and McGovern brought down sub Kyle Gauld.

The teenager wasn't even in the squad for the game originally but when Lewis Mackinnon succumbed to illness in the warm-up, Iain Macrae was drafted into the starting line up and Gauld earned a place on the bench.

The impressive Low wrapped up a last four place in the last minute of extra time when he fired home from outside the box.

Buckie boss Gary Hake said: "I thought our quality showed in the end and we deservedly won the game.

"I thought Andy Low was fantastic up front. We played some good stuff on a tricky surface."

Looking ahead to the semi final, Hake added: "We have played Locos three times this year, we have won one, lost one and drew one so we know it will be tough."

Forres boss Charlie Rowley said: "We should have been in with a half-time lead. We didn't perform at all in the second half and Buckie had by far the better chances and went deservedly in front.

"We got back into it with a world class header, I mean that. I have never seen a header so good and we got a massive lift from that.

"It was a pressure game. Physically we didn't have enough about us to win the game today."

Forres: Knight, Allan (Duncan 71), Smith, Jones, G. Fraser, MacPherson (MacKintosh 44), Moore, Archibald (A. Fraser 77), L. Fraser, Scott, McGovern. Subs: McNab, Simpson.

Buckie: Main, S. Wood, D. Wood, Stewart, MacRae, Hegarty, Angus (K. Gauld 89), Davidson (Munro 77), Low, Baxter (Conway 68). Subs: MacMillan, S. Gauld.

Brora Rangers won their first Highland League title with a 3-0 win at Keith. Goals from Steven Mackay (2) and Ross Tokely sparked off celebrations at Kynoch Park at full-time.

Other league results: Wick Academy 1, Formartine Utd 1; Strathspey Thistle 0, Turriff Utd 2; Fort William 0, Fraserburgh 6.


< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo