Published: 01/02/2014 18:50 - Updated: 01/02/2014 19:52

City draw in Wilson's first match at helm

Written byCraig Christie

BARRY Wilson’s first match in charge of Elgin City ended in a 1-1 draw at home to Albion Rovers.

Jamie Duff wins an aerial battle with Rangers' Dean Shiels. Photo by Robert Crombie.
Jamie Duff (right) recused a point for Elgin City in Barry Wilson's first game as manager.


The new manager praised his side for fighting back from the loss of a penalty opener to rescue a point.

And he said with a bit of luck Elgin could have grabbed a second goal to get his managerial reign off to a winning start.

“Once we got level, I thought if anyone was going to win it, it was going to be us,” he said after Saturday’s stalemate.

“Over the piece I couldn’t argue too much if anyone said a draw was a fair result.

“The first half was poor to say the least. Both teams looked nervy and there wasn’t much football played.

“Albion Rovers started on the front foot in the second half and when they went ahead they probably deserved it.

“But from then on in I thought we played some good stuff and looked more of an attacking force.

“I was pleased with the way we drove forward and the boys showed a bit of character.”

Craig Gunn was denied by a good save by Rovers keeper Neil Parry in one of the first half’s few scoring opportunities.

Ray Jellema in the home goal also pulled off two good stops, including a fine block from Michael Dunlop at the start of the second half.

But when Graeme Beveridge tripped Albion winger David Crawford in the box on 54 minutes, a penalty was awarded and Scott Chaplain converted it to edge the Coatbridge side ahead.

Jamie Duff levelled on 70 minutes with a hook shot over his shoulder which foxed keeper Parry by sneaking under the bar.

It looked like a speculative effort by the defender, but Duff insisted after the match that his volley was intentional.

“The boys have seen me do it in training all the time, so of course I meant it,” he claimed.

Elgin pressed for a winner, but were nearly caught in the 90th minute when a Gary Phillips shot was superbly saved by Jellema.

City defender Paul McMullan was stretchered off in stoppage time, but manager Wilson said it was just a precaution on his ankle injury, which was not as bad as first feared.

Wilson wll now aim to get his first win next Saturday away to East Stirling, who have already beaten Elgin twice this season.

Elgin: Jellema, Beveridge, McMullan (Macaulay 90), Crighton, Duff, Harkins, Gunn (Urquhart 90), Masson, Wyness, Sutherland, MacKenzie. 
< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo