Published: 29/04/2017 19:55 - Updated: 29/04/2017 20:01

'Disgusting' spitting offence angers Buckie star

Written byCraig Christie

BUCKIE Thistle striker Chris Angus accused play-off opponents East Kilbride of resorting to spitting on them during Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Victoria Park.

Chris Angus
Buckie Thistle's Chris Angus

Angus scored and won a penalty to help Jags to a 2-0 lead over the Lowland League champs in the first leg of the pyramid play-off semi-final.

However the visitors fought back to level in a bad tempered match and will start favourites to win the tie as the home side in next Saturday’s second leg.

Jags boss Graeme Stewart was sent off for his part in one of a number of off-the-ball incidents which marred the game.

Another was an alleged spitting offence by East Kilbride full back Fabio Capuano on Angus after the Buckie man was fouled by the defender for a penalty kick.

“I was spat on twice,” Angus said. “Their right back, disgusting. There’s no need for that in the game.

“It’s unacceptable in my eyes. One of their players has apologised, he’s seen it and it’s embarrassing.

“It was just after the penalty. He was saying I dived but again his (team-mate) says that he pulled me back.”

Angus scored a superb 9th minute opener for Buckie, chesting down Sam Urquhart’s right wing cross and firing home.

He was then brought to the deck by Capuano on 32 minutes for a penalty which Urquhart slotted home to make it 2-0.

East Kilbride had competed well in that first half and deservedly got one back a minute before half time. Jags keeper Daniel Bell was drawn out of his box to deal with a through ball but as he challenged East Kilbride forward Joao Vitoria the ball broke kindly for Paul Woods to slot into an empty net.

Visiting sub Russell McLean then nodded home an 84th minute equaliser after Bell failed to deal with a long throw into the box.

Despite failing to seal a victory to take south next week, Angus believes Jags can still win the match.

He feels East Kilbride would not be good enough to challenge for the Highland League title.

“If I was to put them in the Highland League they are a top four team but they wouldn’t win the league.”

Stewart could be banned from the Jags technical area next week after being sent off by ref David Munro in the closing minutes of the game.

Stewart laughed off the incident involving him and Capuano on the touchline.

“Their right back who caused trouble the whole game, he tried to grab the ball and I’ve tried to get it back and he’s grabbed my arm and fell over, and I’ve fell down with him.

“It was laughable, a little bit. I was trying to get up and I was looking to the ref saying ‘I can’t get up’.

Two Moray sides have reached the semi-finals of the Menzies Distribution North of Scotland Cup.

Rothes booked their place with a 3-0 win at Golspie Sutherland.

Scott MacLean’s first goal for the Speysiders put them ahead at the break and Caley Thistle loan pair Struan McArthur and Keir Smith sealed the win after the break.

Rothes now host Fort William, who beat Invergordon 3-0, in next Saturday’s semi at MacKessack Park.

Forres Mechanics won by the same scoreline at another North Caledonian team, Halkirk.

Andy Macrae, Craig McGovern and Calum Howarth got the goals for Cans, who now visit Brora in the semis after their 3-1 success over Nairn.

Elgin City’s play-off hopes in League 2 are hanging by a thread after their 3-2 defeat to new leaders Arbroath.

A Jamie Reid strike and an own goal were not enough to stop Elgin from losing, with Reid also being red-carded in the game.

City remain a point behind Montrose in the chase for the play-offs.

Next week Elgin host bottom club Cowdenbeath who must win to avoid the relegation play-offs.

Montrose host Clyde, who also need points to escape the drop zone.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo