Published: 19/08/2017 19:33 - Updated: 19/08/2017 19:37

Elgin comeback seals first win in six months

Written byCraig Christie

ELGIN City’s six month wait for a league win is over after Brian Cameron’s dramatic stoppage time winner against Clyde.Brian Cameron

City fought back from 2-0 down to claim victory at the death, ending a run of seven straight league draws at Borough Briggs.

Manager Jim Weir was delighted to see his team build on the midweek Irn Bru Cup success at Hibernian Colts and claim their second late winner in two games.

Elgin captain Jon-Paul McGovern reserved praise for the Black and Whites’ 17-year-old Morton loan defender Lewis Strapp who had an exceptional debut at left back.

Goals by Jamie Reid, Chris McLeish and Cameron did the business for the Moray men who were two down after half an hour.

Weir said: “There was not much in it at that stage. It was a sort of disbelief that we were two nil down.

“It was important that we got a goal back before half time. The second half swung to and fro but I felt we had the better chances.

“We missed a few and you start thinking the game is going to end in another draw.

“Then a great run from Soapy (Cameron) who uses his strength and determination and gors round the goalie and gets the penalty.

“Not winning becomes a habit so it’s been a good few days for us. That’s two late winners so I’m thrilled with that.”

Former Aberdeen and Dundee United striker David Goodwillie shot Clyde into a 21st minute lead before a sensational 25 yard screamer by Jordan Stewart made it 2-0.

Reid worked space to fire one back seven minutes later and Elgin came out for the second half in determined fashion.

Young Strapp produced a terrific ball from the left for Chris McLeish to smack home an equaliser on 67 minutes.

Cameron was denied by a save when through on goal, Thomas Reilly was inches away wth a shot while City sub Jordan Allan wasted a glorious headed chance four minutes from the end.

With time running out Cameron raced through and was fouled by Clyde keeper Blair Currie, who was sent off for conceding a penalty which Cameron buried past the visitors’ substitute goalie.

The relief around Borough Briggs at full time was huge, and captain McGovern was delighted to get one over his previous club Clyde.

“Clyde kind of came out and questioned whether I could still play, or whatever else at one point so it’s always nice to get a win and play and do your bit for the team, so we are delighted,” he said.

“Lewis was absolutely fantastic. There were a couple of times in the first half where he has pulled the ball down instead of just knocking it on.

“He took it on, he drove the team forward and he’s put the cross in for the second goal. It was great to see from such a young boy.”

Clyde manager Jim Chapman saw his team throw away a 2-0 lead for the second game running and accused his team of “self-imploding”.

He was also critical of referee Graham Beaton for only booking City goal hero Cameron for a challenge on Clyde striker Smart Osadolor.

“You can do violent conduct and get a booking, then my goalkeeper just pushes somebody and he falls to the ground and it’s a red card for him. It’s shambolic,” he said.

The result took Elgin up to sixth in League 2 and next week they travel to face Edinburgh City, who have yet to pick up a point.

Meanwhile Elgin have loaned defender Ross McKinnon out to junior side Irvine Meadow.

Elgin: Waters, Eadie, Strapp, McHardy, Bronsky, McGovern, Reid (Allan 78), Cameron, McLeish, Reilly, Dodd (Sutherland 64). Subs: Ferguson,  Smith, Wilson, Dear.

Clyde: Currie, Home, Stewart, McNiff, Breslin, Cuddihy, Miller, Flynn (Wright 69), Osadolor, Goodwillie, Ramsay (Burbidge 69). Subs: Bradley, Brown, Harrison, Wilson, Belkamen.

Ref: G.Beaton

Att: 559

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo