Published: 02/08/2014 16:58 - Updated: 06/08/2014 17:35

Elgin drubbed in Dumfries

ELGIN City crashed to a 5-0 defeat in their League Cup visit to Queen of the South.

Elgin City boss Barry Wilson
Bad day for Elgin City boss Barry Wilson at his old club Queen of the South.


The long trip to Dumfries turned out to be a nightmare for Barry Wilson’s side as they had no answer to the firepower of their Championship opponents.

Iain Russell opened the scoring after just five minutes and also struck the post twice, before Derek Lyle added a second before half time.

The home side also had two goals disallowed, but continued to dominate after the break as Russell netted two more to complete his hat-trick and Lyle got his second.

It was also the kick off to the Highland League season on Saturday with some high scoring matches.

Rothes were on the receiving end of the biggest score, a 7-0 home drubbing against Inverurie Locos.

They were one down inside the first minute as Martin Bavidge was on target, but the Speysiders kept things tight until 12 minutes into the second half when a second Bavidge goal opened up the floodgates.

Bavidge completed his hat-trick and both Neil Gauld and Dean Donaldson added doubles.

Keith got off to a winning start as they won 3-1 at Moray rivals Lossiemouth.

First half goals by Stuart Massie and big summer signing Mike Ewen got the Maroons up and running. Kevin Duguid marked his first league game for Lossie with a goal on 70 minutes but Ewen added a third for Keith late on.

Buckie Thistle were made to work hard for their 2-1 success at Fort William.

Jags drew twice with the league’s bottom side last season a trailed to a Sean Grant goal at the break.

However new signing Jay Cheyne levelled at the start of the second half and Craig MacMillan’s late penalty made it a winning start for Gary Hake’s men.

Forres Mechanics looked poised for a first day defeat at home to Fraserburgh until Ross Macpherson popped up with a stoppage time equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw.

Elsewhere, champions Brora Rangers started as they mean to go on with a crushing 6-0 win over Gregg Carrol’s Huntly at Dudgeon Park.

Former Keith front man Cammy Keith plundered a last minute winner for Formartine United in their 1-0 win at Nairn County, while Ross Jack’s Turriff United won 4-0 at Strathspey Thistle.

The spoils were shares in Inverness with Clach drawing 1-1 against Cove while a last minute Richard Macadie goal earned Wick a 3-2 win over Deveronvale in a match which saw three red cards shown.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo