Published: 10/03/2018 19:23 - Updated: 10/03/2018 19:25

Elgin get tough run off to good start

Written byCraig Christie

ELGIN City kept up their good form by beating Berwick Rangers – now they must start winning on the road, says skipper Jon-Paul McGovern.

Thomas Reilly scored a cracker in Elgin's 3-0 win over Berwick
Thomas Reilly scored a cracker in Elgin's 3-0 win over Berwick

In the first of seven City fixtures in 21 days, the Moray side won 3-0 against Berwick on Saturday thanks to goals by Thomas Reilly, Stephen Bronsky and Darryl McHardy.

Now the Black and Whites need to break a run of seven straight away defeats when they make the trip to McGovern's old club Clyde on Tuesday.

“I don't think you can sneak into the top four unless you pick up your points away from home and it's up to us to do that,” he said.

“That's for us to sort. We know what to do and the manager has been pretty clear with the instruction on what he's expecting from us.”

Manager Gavin Price revealed this week he has set his Elgin players a points target for the gruelling seven-game March programme which will make or break their season.

Winning the first match of that schedule was the perfect way to start and City did it comfortably, never looking back once Reilly's sublime 20 yard strike put them ahead on 20 minutes.

Price adopted a 3-5-2 formation with stopper McHardy making his first start since the new year as part of the three-man defence.

Another of the back three also recalled to the side, Bronsky took his chance to impress by heading in Jordan Allan's corner for Elgin's second on the half hour.

City were well worth their two-goal lead at the break, dominating possession and territory throughout the 45 minutes.

The second half was a more even affair with Berwick carving out a couple of good chances to reduce the deficit.

Matthew Cooper then took af=dvantage of his new right wing back role to get into the opposing box and fire Brian Cameron's pass for goal, with Berwick keeper Robby McCrorie saving well.

However on 78 minutes McHardy celebrated his return to the starting line up in spectacular fashion with the clinching goal.

The local favourite embarked on a solo run from halfway, swapped passes with striker Chris McLeish and broke into the area before rifling a left foot drive in off the underside of the bar.

Assistant manager Keith Gibson said: “I don't know why Daryl ended up in that position but he's got it in his locker to score goals like that.

“But the first half performance was particularly pleasing and that's ultimately won us the game.”

In the Highland League Cup quarter-finals, league leaders Cove Rangers ended Forres Mechanics' interest in the competition with a 3-1 Mosset Park win.

Keith's home tie with Brora was postponed so they played a league game in Sutherland, which Brora won 1-0.

Buckie Thistle returned to form by thrashing bottom side Fort William 7-0 in Lochaber.

Declan Milne scored a hat-trick and Stevie Ross netted twice.

Rothes went down to a 1-0 league defeat in Inverness against Clach.

Also in the cup, Strathspey Thistle beat Huntly on penalties after a 2-2 draw to reach the quarter-finals.

Fraserburgh won 4-3 at Nairn to reach the last four.

Inverurie Locos beat Deveronvale 5-1 in the league while Wick were 2-1 winners at Turriff.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo