Published: 13/08/2014 23:36 - Updated: 14/08/2014 10:20

Forres edge out Lossie in penalty shoot-out

Written byCraig Christie

FORRES Mechanics beat Lossiemouth on penalties to book a North Cup semi-final date with old rivals Elgin City.

A double for Kyle Scott
Skipper Kyle Scott helped Forres Mechanics book their place in the North Cup semis.


Lossie twice led in Wednesday night’s derby but Forres deservedly pulled level, before keeper Mark Bowden saved two home kicks in the shoot-out to earn his team victory.

Cans boss Charlie Rowley said: “We knew it was going to be tough and we had to be patient.

“But we passed the ball as well as we have done this season and worked hard throughout the ninety minutes.”

Scott Dunn pleased dad Stevie – the Lossie boss - by cracking in the Coasters’ opener on 8 minutes.

Forres had the chance to level when full back Paul Smith was downed by Jordan McBain in the box, but Duncan Jones’ spot kick was saved by home keeper Connor Hall.

Early in the second half Dunn rattled the Forres bar with a free kick, and the visitors broke shortly after through sub Fraser Forbes who crossed for Craig McGovern to make it 1-1.

McGovern then hit a post, before Lossie regained the lead with a well-struck 20 yard effort from sub Willie Mathers.

However within three minutes Forres captain Kyle Scott made space for himself on the edge of the box to curl in a low shot and make it 2-2.

Mechanics pressed for a winner but it stayed 2-2 and went straight to penalties.

Kevin Flett expertly converted Lossie’s first but their next two from Scott Miller and Scott Dunn were saved by Bowden.

Andy Fraser, Simon Allan and Kyle Scott all converted for Mechanics, meaning when Shawn Scott skied Lossie’s fourth kick over the bar it was all over.

Coasters’ manager Stevie Dunn said: “It’s annoying losing on penalties but the boys have got to take real credit for the way they performed. I can take a lot of positives from it.”

Forres now visit Elgin in the semi-finals after the Borough Briggs side won 8-1 at Rothes.

Shane Sutherland was on target five times, with Mark Nicolson, Dennis Wyness and a Stuart Lamberton own goal bringing up the City tally.

Kyle Stewart netted a consolation for Rothes, who had keeper Craig Ferguson sent off after just half an hour.

The other semi will be a north derby between Wick Academy and Brora Rangers.

Champions Brora thrashed Halkirk 8-0 while Wick beat Clach 2-0.

In the Aberdeenshire Cup, the Moray derby between Keith and Buckie Thistle was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Fraserburgh came from 2-0 down to beat Inverurie Locos 4-2 after extra time.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo