Published: 02/12/2012 15:04 - Updated: 04/12/2012 11:45

'Gers end Elgin's cup dreams

Written byBy Craig Christie

RANGERS overcame brave resistance from Elgin City with a 3-0 win to go into the last sixteen of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Ross Jack’s side created several good chances at Ibrox but succumbed to strikes by Dean Shiels, Kevin Kyle and sub Kal Naismith.

Rangers should have taken the lead in under 2 minutes when Kyle’s strike was wrongly disallowed for offside as he ran on to Barrie McKay’s pass.

City’s first probe into home territory saw Mark Nicolson made a surge into the box before testing Neil Alexander with a left foot shot.

McKay was causing plenty bother down Rangers’ left and created a couple of openings which were not snapped up by his team mates.

At the other end on 13 minutes Daniel Moore’s promising run led to a through ball to Craig Gunn, who was forced out wide but still managed to force an Alexander save.

City were defending well and frustrating their hosts at this stage, although Shiels and Kevin Kyle both went close.

Elgin keeper John Gibson had to deal with long range efforts from Ian Black and Shiels, with the visitors threatening late in the half through a Nicolson shot in the box which flew over.

Just when the Moray men looked to be holding out to the break, they conceded a goal two minutes before half time.

Lee McCulloch’s ball into the box was nodded down by Kyle for Shiels to spin Sean Crighton and clip an angled effort in off the far post.

Eight minutes after the break City almost grabbed a shock equaliser from a move instigated by Moore. The midfielder’s superb run through the centre  created a chance for Gunn, whose shot went across goal to the far post where Stuart Leslie stretched to fire into the side netting.

Gibson saved well from Shiels but was beaten for a second time on 68 minutes when Kevin Kyle nodded in a MacLeod left wing corner.

City never gave up, and from a Moore corner Sean Crighton forced a point blank save out of Alexander.

McKay hit the post for the home side while Leslie had a shot cleared off the line by Darren Cole as Elgin once more showed their attacking threat.

But sub Naismith wrapped up victory for Ally McCoist’s side with five minutes left, running onto Darren Cole’s pass to beat Gibson.

Rangers: Alexander, Argyriou, Hegarty, MacLeod, Wallace, McCulloch, Little (Templeton 72), Black (Cole 59), Kyle (Naismith 83), Shiels, McKay. Subs: Sandaza, Gallacher.

Elgin: Gibson, Niven, Beveridge, Crighton, Duff, Cameron, Gunn (Millar 89), O'Donoghue (Harkins 73), Leslie, Nicolson (Wyness 77), Moore. Subs: McMullan, Black.

Ref: E. Norris


City fans applaud the team at full-time: Photo by Bob Crombie.
City fans applaud the team at full-time: Photo by Bob Crombie.
< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo