Published: 27/01/2018 19:10 - Updated: 27/01/2018 19:16

Goal gives Elgin striker Chris of life

CHRIS McLeish ended a ten-game scoring drought to help Elgin City to a third straight win and back in the play-off places.

Thomas Reilly's penalty sealed Elgin's third win in a row
Thomas Reilly's penalty sealed Elgin's third win in a row

The striker opened City's account in a 2-0 win over Stenhousemuir in wet and windy conditions at Borough Briggs.

Thomas Reilly's injury time penalty sealed the victory which took Elgin up two places in League 2 to fourth spot.

McLeish's 33rd minute opener wasn't the cleanest of efforts but with it being his first since a headed goal at Clyde in October, he wasn't caring.

Taking a Brian Cameron pass in his stride, McLeish swung a left boot and his trundler beat the diving Stenny keeper and struck the base of the post before going in.

“It was my weak side as well so I'm happy with thateven though it was a scuffed shot,” he said.

“It was good play down the left, Jordan (Allan) cut it across and Soapy (Cameron) got a nice wee flick on it and it sat up perfect for me.

“I didn't get a clean strike but thankfully it went in.

“It's been a while since my last goal at Clyde so this was a long time in coming.”

Assistant manager Keith Gibson kept up his perfect record of wins since becoming Gavin Price's number 2 this month and said: “The first half performance was certainly the best since I've come in.”

The Black and Whites dominated against the elements and after McLeish missed an earlier chance, he slotted home the only goal of the first period.

City's debut keeper Brett Long, on loan from Dundee United, barely saw any action as the home side kept possession for the majority of the half.

Elgin skipper Jon-Paul McGovern was denied by a good Chris Smith save early in the second half.

Stenhousemuir then began to commit men forward and threten, without giving Long too many moments of concern.

With the game into stoppage time Elgin sub Declan Byrne was fouled in the box for a penalty which Reilly converted to seal victory.

With Stirling and Annan both losing, Elgin made the jump into fourth spot. They visit Stirling next Saturday looking for a fourth win on the spin.  

Elgin: Long, Cooper, Allan, McDonald, Eadie, McGovern, Smith (Dodd 73), Reilly, McLeish (Byrne 77), Cameron, Sutherland (McHardy 88).

Subs: Elbouzedi, Bronsky, Ferguson, Waters.

Stenny: Smith, Meechan, M.Dunlop, R.Dunlop, Donaldson, Marsh (Scott 85), McGuigan, Ferry, Halleran (McMenamin 56), Murray (Ferns 56), Cook.

Subs: Gilmour, McMinn.

Referee: Mat Northcroft

Att: 553

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo