Published: 29/03/2014 18:46 - Updated: 29/03/2014 18:54

Great Scott inspires Forres romp

Written byCraig Christie

A KYLE Scott double helped Forres Mechanics to a comfortable 4-1 success over Deveronvale.

A double for Kyle Scott
Kyle Scott struck twice in Forres Mechanics' 4-1 win over Deveronvale.


But the Cans’ league win was marred by an injury to skipper Graeme Grant, who could be doubtful for next week’s cup quarter-final.

Scott started the scoring from centre midfield, and wrapped up the victory with another goal when he had dropped back into defence to replace the injured Grant.

Craig McGovern and Graham Fraser also struck for Forres, who have now won their last five matches.

Manager Charlie Rowley praised his team for an excellent all-round display, and was delighted with Scott’s contribution as a double scorer.

“He’s one of the best players in the league wherever he plays and we’re fortunate to have him,” said the Cans boss.

Scott was delighted to take his tally for the season into double figures with two powerful headers.

The first came on 23 minutes from a Graham Fraser free kick, which was quickly cancelled out by Graeme Rodger’s equaliser.

Craig McGovern lashed Mechanics back in front before the break, and centre back Fraser dived to nod in a Simon Allan on 53 minutes.

Scott had the last say, coming up from the back to send a storming header into the back of the net from another setpiece kick, this time by Duncan Jones.

“It was one of those days you have when everything coming in, you think ‘I’ve got a chance here of getting on the end of this,” said Elgin Academy teacher Scott.

“We had some great deliveries from setpieces.”

Grant limped off after 36 minutes, and although his injury wasn’t as bad as first fears he will be assessed this week to see if he makes the League Cup clash against Buckie next week.

Meanwhile Lossiemouth suffered a setback in their hopes of going further in the Highland League Cup.

The Coasters went down 3-1 at home to Turriff in a league match on Saturday, not ideal preparation for next week’s cup visit to Huntly.

To make matters worse, centre back Grant Mitchell went off injured early in the match, and later on the Reds had Callum Dunbar and Shawn Scott sent off.

Kevin Flett scored Lossie’s goal from the penalty spot.

Rothes lost 4-1 at Cove with all the goals coming in the second half. Callum McIntosh levelled Cove’s opener, before the Aberdeen men netted three goals in the final 17 minutes to take victory.

All the damage to Keith’s hopes against Inverurie Locos was inflicted in the first 45 minutes.

The Maroons lost 3-0, with all three of the visitors goals coming in the first half, including one from former Keith favourite Dean Donaldson.

Buckie Thistle staged a late comeback to snatch a point at home to Clach.

One-nil down at the break, they looked destined for defeat when their Inverness opponents added a second on 78 minutes.

But Donnie Munro pulled one back and Chris Angus continued his good recent scoring run by equalizing four minutes from time.

Brora Rangers edged closer to the title with a 2-0 win over nearest rivals Formartine United.

Fraserburgh came back from 2-0 down to beat Huntly 4-3, Nairn also came back to beat Wick 2-1 while Strathspey Thistle beat Fort William 3-2 in the basement battle.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo