Published: 09/02/2013 18:42 - Updated: 09/02/2013 18:50

Harkins is hero in Elgin's win

ELGIN City got back to winning ways with a 3-1 success at home to Annan Athletic on Saturday.

City had gone seven games without victory since December but broke their duck with a display which pleased manager Ross Jack.

“It was very positive, and we need to build on this now,” he said. “The first half performance in particular was outstanding.”

Elgin struck three times in that first 45 minutes to floor their visitors.

Daniel Moore hit a splendid curling opener from the edge of the box on 15 minutes, before Paul Harkins guided in Sean Crighton’s cross to add a second 8 minutes later.

Craig Gunn raced on to Moore’s pass to net number three just before the break, and lifted his shirt to display a t-shirt in honour of his late brother.

Craig Gunn was on target in City's 2-0 win over Queens Park
Craig Gunn scored in Elgin's win.

A Michael Daly header gave Annan hope on 54 minutes, while Harkins had a penalty saved after he had been brought down by the Annan keeper midway through the second half.

Harkins admitted after the game: “I rushed the kick a wee bit and I think the keeper just knew where I was going to put it. To be fair it was a good save.

The midfielder had been suspended since picking up a harsh red card in Elgin’s 1-1 draw at Rangers, and celebrated his return to the line up in style by picking up the man of the match award.

Playing in the ‘hole’ behind sole striker Gunn suited Harkins, and he hopes to get more opportunities to impress his managed.

“It felt like the longest suspension ever, with the games being postponed recently. So I was glad to be back and it felt good being put straight into the team.”

The win put Elgin up to fourth spot, ahead of Montrose who they visit next Saturday in a crucial promotion encounter.

Jack said he was disappointed tolose a second half goal, and felt his men could have been more clinical and taken the chances which came their way in the second half.

But he added that he was thrilled to end a sticky run of results with a much-needed win.

City will have top scorer Stuart Leslie back from suspension next week, but skipper David Niven looks a serious doubt for Montrose after aggravating a knee injury and limping off after 25 minutes.

Elgin: Malin, Cameron, Morrison, Crighton, Duff, Niven (McMullan 25), Gunn (Beveridge 82), O’Donoghue, Harkins (Millar 78), Nicolson, Moore. Subs: McLean, Black.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo