Published: 09/04/2014 22:53 - Updated: 09/04/2014 23:21

Injury time agony for Rothes

A GOAL two minutes into injury time denied Rothes a point against Deveronvale.

Keith boss Graham McBeath.

The Speysiders had missed chances to win the game before Graeme Rodger popped up with a soul-destroying winner for the Banffers.

After a seven goal drubbing by Clach in the league cup last weekend, Rothes went into this game low on confidence.

Deveronvale controlled the first half and went ahead when Steven Fraser sliced the ball into his own net from a Colin Charlesworth cross.

However, Rothes dug deep after the break and defended well and hit 'Vale on the break.

Craig Ferguson, drafted in for the injured Ricky Horne, saved well from Colin Charlesworth and Scott Fraser in the second half.

Rothes could have won it late on when Joao Rodrigues played a great ball to Stuart Thomson but he dragged his shot wide from close range.

And with the game moving into added time, Rothes won the ball from a 'Vale throw in deep in their own half and Rodrigues burst forward. With a two on one advantage, Ross Gibb was agonisingly offside when he accepted a pass from his team-mate and the chance was lost.

The visitors broke Rothes' hearts with virtually the last move of the game when John Urquhart saw his volley brilliantly saved by Ferguson and the keeper followed up with another great save to touch Scott Henry's header on to the bar.

However, the keeper was helpless to keep out a follow up shot from Rodger which won the points for 'Vale.

Rothes boss Graeme Roy said: "We had chances in the second half to win the game. Credit to the players to come back with a performance like that after Saturday.

"A bit of hard work and endeavour and you can get something out of games.

"You worry sometimes when we are down where we are that the heads go down coming into the end of the season, but that was a great team performance."

Rothes: Ferguson, Shearer, Thomson, Gallagher (Winton 74), S. Fraser, Dunn, Ramsay (Watt 79), Stewart, Gibb, Rodrigues, Morrison (Lamberton 61). Not used: Horne, Farquhar.

Keith stunned Cove Rangers at Kynoch Park, running out comfortable 4-1 winners.

Sean Keith fired the Maroons ahead three minutes before half-time and Stuart Massie double the lead three minutes after the restart from the penalty spot.

Scott Robison made it 3-0 after 54 minutes and Keith were cruising when Matthew Macdonald added a fourth midway through the half.

Former Keith player Stuart Walker scored a consolation for the visitors 15 minutes from the end.

Forres Mechanics went down 2-1 at home to Inverurie Locos. John Maitland had put Locos ahead just past the hour mark before Simon Allan levelled from the penalty spot on 67 minutes. Neil Gauld secured the points with a goal eight minutes from the end.

Fraserburgh won 3-2 at Nairn in the other game played.


< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo