Published: 05/11/2017 15:22 - Updated: 05/11/2017 15:27

Lossie lose out despite valiant cup final effort

LOSSIEMOUTH’s North Cup final dream was shattered by two second half Brora Rangers goals on Saturday.Lossiemouth's Iain MacRae

Despite being massive underdogs against the holders, Lossie put up a great display at Clach’s Grant Street Park.

The final was goalless for 55 minutes until Martin Maclean fired Brora into the lead.

After surviving a Lossie strike off the crossbar, the Sutherland side sealed victory through sub Kyle MacLeod in the last minute.

There was also disappointment for Elgin City in SPFL League 2 as they went down 2-0 at home to Peterhead.

Two goals by Rory McAllister did the damage for Blue Toon to end City boss Gavin Price’s three-match winning start at Borough Briggs.

Ladbrokes League 2 table

In the Highland League, Keith earned their first league win since the opening day of the season in fine style.

A Cammy Keith hat-trick helped the Maroons to thrash Strathspey Thistle 6-1 at Kynoch Park.

Strathspey scored first after just four minutes before Keith levelled from the penalty spot.

James Brownie then had the home side in front after eight minutes and Keith got his second before Ryan Whelan made it 4-1 midway through the half.

Keith and Whelan were on target in the second period to make it easy for the Maroons.

Highland League table

Forres Mechanics made it four wins in a row by defeating Turriff United 2-1.

Lee Fraser’s strike for the Cans separated the teams at half time and Allan MacPhee added a second for the home side soon after the interval.

Ex-Lossiemouth man Kevin Flett got one back for Turriff but Forres held on.

Rothes blew a two-goal lead at home to Huntly as they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Scott Davidson netted twice in the opening 25 minutes to put the Speysiders in command.

However Gary McGowan did likewise for the visitors either side of half time to square the contest.

Formartine United won the Aberdeenshire Cup, beating favourites Cove Rangers 1-0 through a goal by ex-Elgin City front man Garry Wood.

In the league, Deveronvale beat Clach 3-1, Fraserburgh beat Nairn 4-1 and Inverurie were 5-1 winners at home to Wick.

Buckie Thistle’s clash with Fort William was postponed as the Lochaber team’s Claggan Park was waterlogged.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo