Published: 26/03/2014 23:13 - Updated: 26/03/2014 23:23

Lossie rue spot kick miss in stalemate

Written byCraig Christie

A ‘Gary McAllister’ moment from the penalty spot cost Lossiemouth victory against Cove, according to boss Stevie Dunn.

Callum Dunbar
Callum Dunbar missed a penalty in Lossiemouth's goalless draw with ten man Cove.


Lossie were held to a 0-0 draw at home to the ten man Aberdonians, and were left to rue Callum Dunbar’s 58th minute spot kick miss.

But Dunn revealed his player told him the ball moved just before he kicked it, just as it did for Scotland star McAllister against England in Euro ’96.

“We knew with ten men Cove would have to up their game but our boys worked really hard and for the majority of the second half we were the better side,” Stevie claimed.

“We had a lot of chances and we couldn’t take them. The penalty was obviously a great chance but ‘Dunny’ said just before he took it the ball moved, so that’s annoying.”

Dunbar, who struck the bar with a superb 30 yarder in the first half, saw his spot kick slip wide of the mark after Scott Miller had been brought down in the box.

Cove were a lively side who threatened Errol Watson’s goal on numerous occasions but couldn’t find a way past the Lossie keeper.

The Granite City men suffered a setback when midfielder Clark Bain lashed out at Scott Dunn three minutes before the break and was shown a straight red card.

Even with ten men Cove threatened, Michael Selfridge testing Watson before Dunbar’s spot kick miss.

Scott Wilson fired inches past for Lossiemouth a minute after the penalty, while Watson saved well from Connor Scully’s free kick and denied sub Jamie Lennox in the dying minutes.

Elsewhere in the Highland League, Rothes crashed 5-0 at home to Fraserburgh and finished the match with nine men after Gary Gallacher and Kevin Shortreed were sent off.

Forres Mechanics were made to work hard by bottom club before winning 2-1, a result which took them up to seventh in the table.

Duncan Jones netted the winner for Cans, who had taken the lead with an own goal before Fort quickly replied.

Brora Rangers extended their lead at the top when Steven MacKay’s late penalty clinched a 1-0 derby win at Wick.

Huntly won 3-1 at Strathspey Thistle, while Clach won their rearranged Highland League Cup tie against Deveronvale 2-0 after extra time, and will now host Rothes in the quarter finals.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo