Published: 12/04/2014 17:30 - Updated: 12/04/2014 18:24

Moray derby ends in stalemate

Written byChris Saunderson

THE Moray derby at Mackessack Park ended in a stalemate between Rothes and Lossiemouth.

Michael Dunn
Michael Dunn levelled from the spot for Rothes.

After a goalless first half spoiled by a strong wind, both sides showed more attacking intent after the break.

Lossiemouth took the lead eight minutes after the restart when Liam Archibald swept the ball home from the edge of the box.

Ryan Green almost doubled the lead soon after but Craig Ferguson pulled off a fantastic save to tip his fierce drive over the bar.

Rothes gradually forced their way into the game and Callum McIntosh had two chances to level but saw his first effort blocked by Jordan Main and then shot weakly at Errol Watson from close range.

With seven minutes remaining Rothes were handed a route back into the game when Liam Forbes was adjudged to have been fouled inside the box and Michael Dunn scored from the penalty spot.

Rothes boss Graeme Roy said: "I am happy but disappointed at the same time.

"Lossie are one of the form teams in the league at the moment and we have got to say a draw is a good result for us.

"If you took the clear cut chances we could have won the game 4-2. If somebody had said before the game we would get a draw I would have taken it."

Roy confirmed that striker Sean McIntosh has been placed on the transfer list at his own request.

Lossie manager Stevie Dunn said: "I am disappointed. The last 15-20 minutes we stopped playing and got very deep.

"Once we got the goal we kind of stopped doing the good stuff we had been doing.

"If Rothes had a goalscorer in their team they would win more games.

"We were glad to get in at half-time nil-nil because of the wind. The first 15 minutes of the second half we started really well and got on top."

The focus for Lossiemouth will now switch to next weekend's Highland League Cup semi-final at Clach.

Elsewhere, a Stuart Massie penalty earned Keith a 1-0 win over Strathspey Thistle.

Buckie Thistle were beaten 1-0 at Nairn County with Stuart Leslie grabbing the winner.

 Forres Mechanics earned a point from a goalless draw at Turriff Utd.

Inverurie Locos strengthened their grip on second place with a 7-0 win over Wick Academy.

Neil Gauld (2),  David Ross, Neil McLean, Ross Anderson, Andy Hunter and Martin Bavidge got the goals for Locos.

Champions Brora Rangers continued their impressive form with a 6-0 win over Huntly, Steven Mackay and Zander Sutherland both netting braces.

And Formartine Utd beat Cove Rangers 2-1.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo