Published: 05/11/2016 19:28 - Updated: 05/11/2016 19:41

Nine-man Buckie lift Aberdeenshire Cup

Written byCraig Christie

BUCKIE Thistle goal hero Chris Angus hailed his team’s spirit as they came from 2-0 down to win the Aberdeenshire Cup.

Jags defeated Cove Rangers on penalties at Turriff despite having stopper Craig Dorrat and skipper Kevin Fraser red carded.

Striker Angus netted a dramatic last minute goal to level the scores at 2-2, having earlier missed a penalty.

But the Aberdonian was one of five Buckie players who kept their cool in the shut-out, with Hamish Munro netting the winner after keeper Ross Salmon saved two Cove kicks.

Salmon was declared a hero by his team-mates as part of an emotional celebration for the former Montrose player, whose grandfather had died this week.

His efforts epitomised Buckie’s determination, which goalscorer Angus said comes from the great team spirit and bond within the Jags squad.

“This team is special,” he said. “We work hard for each other and we’re all mates outside of football, so we’re all really glad to get this win.”

Angus was a doubt for the game due to a hamstring injury but passed a fitness test, even though he was hobbling for much of the later stages.

“I didn’t think I would last sixty minutes. My hamstring is still a bit iffy but the adrenalin kicked in and got me through the whole game.”

Backed by the lion’s share of the crowd in an attendance of around 600 inside The Haughs, Buckie could have taken the lead as early as the 3rd minute.

Captain Fraser was fouled by Cove defender Alan Redford for a spot kick which Angus struck poorly and keeper Stuart McKenzie saved comfortably.

Jags’ 29-goal top scorer John McLeod was denied by another McKenzie stop on 15 minutes.

Cove then took the lead against the run of play when a free kick rebounded off the Buckie wall into the path of Blair Yule, who fired it home.

Another stunning McKenzie save denied McLeod just before the break, and it looked bleak for Buckie when Mitch Megginson fired home a Darryn Kelly cross to make it 2-0 on 48 minutes.

McLeod lobbed over when through on goal while at the other end Salmon made an outstanding one handed stop from a fierce Megginson drive.

Buckie boss Graeme Stewart brought on Drew Copeland as a sub and the youngster didn’t take long to make an impact.

On 69 minutes Cove keeper McKenzie saw his clearance rebound off McLeod and Angus claimed possession before freeing Copeland to fire past McKenzie and reduce the deficit.

Jags’ joy turned to despair when defender Dorrat, already booked for a late challenge, reacted to a Cove foul by squaring up to an opponent and was subsequently shown a straight red card.

The Granite City men should have clinched victory on 86 minutes when Ryan Stott went clean through, only for Salmon to save well.

That stop proved vital when, with just 30 seconds left on the clock, McLeod tucked a pass through for Angus to beat the advancing McLeod and take the contest into extra time.

Six minutes in, a handball offence against Buckie’s Fraser earned him a second yellow card and he was dismissed, leaving Jags with nine men.

They had some escapes, not least when Cove sub Kevin Buchan shot over an empty goal from six yards out on 103 minutes.

Buckie assistant boss Lewis Mackinnon then produced an outstanding goal-line clearance after Salmon was beaten by an Eric Watson effort.

Incredibly with nine men Jags kept pushing forward in the last five minutes and Copeland nearly snatched a winner, only to be denied by McKenzie.

The tie went into penalties and both teams scored their first two, before McLeod saw his kick saved by McKenzie.

Cove were 4-3 up after four spot kicks each and sub Stott stepped up to try and win the cup, but Salmon once more produced a great save.

Angus, who missed his penalty during the game, bravely stepped up to score Buckie’sfifth and take it into sudden death.

Salmon produced another great save from Buchan’s next effort, leaving Munro to step up and coolly fire Buckie to victory.

Jags captain Fraser went up to receive the trophy along with keeper Salmon, given the honour as a tribute following his family bereavement.

“I got Ross to go up with me because sadly his granda passed away, so it was a big day for him today,” Fraser said.

“For him to go and save that penalty for us to win the cup, it’s obviously a good story for him.”

Buckie: Salmon, Cheyne (Carrol 90), Mackinnon (MacRae 119), Munro, Dorrat, Low (Copeland 66), K.Fraser, McLean, McLeod, Angus, Urquhart. Subs: Scott, J.Fraser, Strong.

Cove: McKenzie, Redford, Milne, Yule, Watson, Kelly, Scully (Stott 81), Campbell, Megginson (Buchan 89), Smith (Park 53), Duff. Subs: McCulloch, McBain, Burnett, McCafferty.

Ref: L. Duncan

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo