Published: 10/09/2017 10:27 - Updated: 10/09/2017 10:35

Penalty ends Elgin's unbeaten run

ELGIN City must be more consistent in League 2 to make a challenge, says assistant manager Gavin Price.

Marc Waters conceded a penalty in Elgin City's 1-0 defeat to Annan
Marc Waters conceded a penalty in Elgin City's 1-0 defeat to Annan

Price and boss Jim Weir watched their team’s four-game winning streak come to an end in a disappointing 1-0 defeat at home to Annan Athletic.

It was also City’s first league loss at Borough Briggs in ten months, with Price blaming a lacklustre first half display on the outcome.

“They were hungrier, won the second balls and we were slack at the back for the first 20 minutes, half an hour in particular,” he said.

“You can’t just expect to turn your form on and off like a tap. If you don’t treat every game with the proper respect you are going to suffer the consequences.

“The simple fact was that they were hungrier than us in the first half. That’s why they’ve got the three points and we’ve got nothing.”

Aidan Smith scored the game’s only goal from the penalty spot on 24 minutes, after Elgin keeper Marc Waters came ot and made a rash challenge on Annan’s Rabin Omar.

The visitors also struck the bar in the first minute and dominated both possession and territory throughout a first half played in incessant rain.

Elgin were stung into action after the break, immediately creating chances which they failed to make in the first 45 minutes.

Chris Dodd curled one effort wide and saw a second deflected just wide for a corner, from which Jamie Reid struck a volley over.

On 54 minutes Reid played a cross along the Annan six yard box and Brian Cameron poked over the bar at full stretch.

Annan keeper Jim Atkinson then cleared the ball only as far as Cameron 35 yards out and his first-time effort didn’t miss the vacant goal by much.

Darryl McHardy thought he had levelled on 64 minutes with a header from a corner which Atkinson reached out to palm away at his post, Elgin claiming in vain that it had crossed the line.

Elgin brought on Aberdeen loan teenager Bruce Anderson from the bench for his debut, also introducing fellow striker Jordan Allan in an attacking ploy by manager Weir.

A rare attack by the visitors saw Steven Swinglehurst loop an overhead kick off the bar with 20 minutes left.

Thomas Reilly had Elgin’s last scoring opportunity when an Annan slip presented him with possession near the corner of the penalty area but his shot skimmed wide of the right hand post.

Elgin’s next match is an away trip to Berwick next Saturday.

Leaders Stirling Albion’s 100% record was ended by a 3-2 defeat at home to Clyde, while bottom side Edinburgh City got off the mark by defeating Berwick 1-0.

Just two points separate Stenhousemuir in third from Berwick in eighth in a tight League 2 table after five matches.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo