Published: 25/01/2014 18:11 - Updated: 25/01/2014 18:23

Robbo rules himself out of Elgin job

Written byCraig Christie

JOHN Robertson has ruled himself out of the vacant Elgin City manager’s post despite taking charge in Saturday’s 3-2 defeat against Montrose.

Elgin City chairman Graham Tatters
Elgin City chairman Graham Tatters


The Hearts legend took Elgin’s training following Ross Jack’s exit on Wednesday, and agreed to take the team against Montrose as a favour to chairman Graham Tatters.

But Robbo explained how his business commitments, BBC radio work and part-time coaching role at Hearts will prevent him from taking the City job.

“Hopefully Elgin will get an opportunity within the next seven days to get somebody in. But it won’t be me,” he said after Saturday’s match.

“I got a phone call from the chairman on Thursday evening asking me if I could help them out with training, which I was happy to do.

“He also asked me if I was available on Saturday, but there’s nothing in it at all. It’s just babysitting the team to help out the lads.

“Paul (Kaczan) and Niv (David Niven) were going to be doing it and the chairman thought it would put them in an awkward position.

“I was happy to help. But people can put one and one together, all this was was to give the board time. I explained my commitments, and that I could help them out today. It’s as simple and straightforward as that.”

Robertson would normally have been covering Ross County’s match against Hearts for BBC but because of his part-time coaching role with the Edinburgh club, he couldn’t report at the match.

Instead he picked the Elgin team and saw them crash to a 3-2 defeat to Montrose, after coming back from a 2-0 half time deficit to level the game.

Graham Webster (5) and Scott Johnston (27) put the visitors 2-0 up, with former City youth keeper Stuart McKenzie pulling off a string of good saves to keep his old team at bay at the other end.

Elgin keeper Ray Jellema also had three fine saves in an attacking first half, which ended with Montrose still two goals to the good.

Aberdeen loan youngster Jamie Masson struck his first City goal right after the interval to pull ojne back.

And even after Elgin had Mark Nicolson sent off for two bookings on 72 minutes, they immediately levelled with a fine strike by Sutherland.

However within four minutes Paul Masson’s 30 yard free kick found the Elgin net to give Montrose what proved to be the winner.

Caretaker Robertson said: “It was a cracking match and it could have ended up five-five, but I think Elgin deserved a draw. They showed a lot of character to come back from two down.

“I said to the players that the next guy is going to be a lucky man because they are good players and a good squad.

“They just need a little bit of belief and confidence in their own game and to battle through the bad luck they are having at the moment.”

Chairman Tatters revealed that the club has already received around ten applicants for the job vacated by Jack on Wednesday.

Elgin: Jellema, Beveridge, McMullan, Crighton, Duff, Masson, Sutherland, Nicolson, Wyness (Harkins 76), Gunn, MacKenzie (McKinnon 83). Subs: Urquhart, Macaulay, MacLeod, Black.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo