Published: 19/02/2018 11:32 - Updated: 19/02/2018 11:37

Rough ref justice for Buckie

BUCKIE Thistle bounced back with a good point at Fraserburgh – but boss Graeme Stewart feels it should have been three.


Rothes double goalscorer Jaime Wilson challenges Lossiemouth's Logan Johnstone in the 6-4 Speysiders' win at Grant Park
Rothes double goalscorer Jaime Wilson challenges Lossiemouth's Logan Johnstone in the 6-4 Speysiders' win at Grant Park

After disappointing home losses to Wick Academy and Keith, Jags battled to a 2-2 draw at Bellslea Park in an eventful contest.

Buckie hit the woodwork twice, had two penalties awarded against them including Broch's late equaliser, and saw Stuart Taylor sent off in what Stewart felt was a wrong decision.

"They are breaking after a corner and Stuart who is quite strong goes shoulder to shoulder with someone, and the referee thinks he's stopping an attack," said Stewart.

"But Stuart could have got past him because he's so quick but he used his strength and the ref gives him a booking.

"Ten minutes later the ball was out of play for a throw-in and Stuart thinks it's his throw, he picked the ball up, the boy pushes Stuart and grabs the ball. Stuart hits his head off the advertising board and then he books Stuart for holding up play.

"I think the referee didn't realise he had already booked him and knew then he'd made a mistake."

It was 0-0 at the break before Gary Harris fired Fraserburgh into the lead.

Shaun Carrol equalised from the first of three spot kicks awarded in the game, and Stevie Ross turned the game on its head when he fired Jags in front with 15 minutes left.

Declan Milne then hit the woodwork for the visitors with a chance to make it 3-1 and likely seal all three points.

Broch got their first penalty for a Ross Anderson foul but Buckie keeper Daniel Bell saved Harris' kick.

But with three minutes left Bell fisted a high ball away when ref Scott Leslie pointed to the spot again, beleiving a foul had been committed.

This time Willie West took the kick and scored to rescue a point for the Buchan men.

"Daniel punched the ball clear and the guy just fell over," said Stewart.

"It was a great result but it should have been all three points for us.

"It's been the story of our season, good performance then bad performance, up and down."

Jags now host Strathspey Thistle on Wednesday night before welcoming Inverurie Locos to Victoria Park on Saturday.

Forres Mechanics picked up their tenth win in eleven games with a 3-0 success over Deveronvale.

In a league rehearsal for Saturday's Highland League Cup clash between the sides, goals by Alan Pollock, Stuart Soane and Andy Macrae won it for the Cans, whose goalkeeper Stuart Knight kept his 100th clean sheet for the club in the match.

Before the rematch with Vale, Mechanics have a league trip to Formartine United on Wednesday.

Lossiemouth and Rothes fought out a ten-goal thriller at Grant park with the Speysiders just coming out on top.

Jaime Wilson's Rothes opener was cancelled out by a Stephen rennie own goal but Scott Davidson's penalty and a Craig Cormack finish made it 3-1 to the visitors.

David Wilson's first goal for Lossie pulled one back beforte the break and although Cormack made it 4-2, Ross Archibald got one back.

Wilson then added his second and sub Kris Duncan's strike sealed the points for Rothes, though Archibald had the last say with a consolation strike.

Rothes visit Nairn on league business on Wednesday while Lossie's next match isn't until Saturday when they are away to Fraserburgh.

Keith held leaders Cove Rangers for 50 minutes at Kynoch Park before the Aberdonians stepped up a gear to score five times and strengthen their position at the top.

Cove are now seven points clear with two games in hand.

Keith welcome Deveronvale to Kynoch Park on Wednesday and host Nairn on Saturday.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo