Published: 16/08/2014 18:24 - Updated: 16/08/2014 18:33

Sorry Jags crushed by Cans

Written byCraig Christie

FORRES Mechanics ended Buckie Thistle’s unbeaten start to the season with a thumping 5-0 win.

Buckie Thistle boss Gary Hake
Buckie Thistle boss Gary Hake saw his team beaten 5-0 at Forres.

The Jags also had defender Chris Hegarty sent off as Mechanics dominated Saturday’s clash from start to finish.

Forres boss Charlie Rowley felt his team could have won by an even wider margin such was the control they held in the Mosset Park clash.

“We thoroughly deserved it and I’m really, really pleased we managed to build on Wednesday’s good result with another one today.”

Understandably, Buckie manager Gary Hake was less-than-impressed with his team’s performance.

Jags had started this term with three wins and a draw, but were never in contention as Forres simply overpowered them.

“If you are going to get beat, you want to get beat by fighting hard,” Hake said. “But I don’t think Forres had to work for their goals, I think we gifted them every one.”

Both teams were under strength, with Mechanics without midfield pair Duncan Jones and Stuart Soane from the team which beat Lossiemouth in the North Cup in midweek.

Buckie had key midfield trio Chris Angus, Graeme Stewart and Donnie Munro out, with Angus on his stag weekend.

Jags’ keeper Kevin Main was in action after just 17 seconds, saving an effort from Fraser Forbes.

The home side piled on the pressure and missed a succession of chances before opening their account on 20 minutes.

Main could only push a Kris Duncan cross against the bar and it fell for Scott Moore to dive and head home.

Within a minute Jags’ challenge had received a further setback when stopper Hegarty lunged in hard on Craig McGovern and was shown a straight red card by ref Martin Kerrigan.

Cans’ striker Lee Fraser, who earlier in the match had a dislocated shoulder popped back in, nodded in number two from a Simon Allan corner on 36 minutes.

Duncan himself added the third in stoppage time with a tap-in from a Kyle Scott pass, just reward for Forres in a half they completely dominated.

Ten man Buckie made more of a fight of it after the break, but Mechanics added two more in the final ten minutes.

Sub Davie Calder teed up McGovern for a simple finish, and Ross Archibald atoned for two simple missed chances by scoring a cracking solo effort in the final minute.

It was a day of goals in the Highland League, with a total of 54 scored in the nine matches involving SHFL clubs.

Lossiemouth held on for a point at home to Deveronvale despite having skipper Kevin Flett sent off.

Scott Dunn scored for the third game running to put Coasters ahead but Martin Charlesworth levelled.

Rothes conceded eight goals for the second consecutive match, and also had Callum McIntosh sent off in the 8-0 home defeat to Fraserburgh.

Keith lost 4-2 at Clach with Bruce Milne and Sean Keith getting the Maroons’goals.

Champs Brora thrashed Turriff 8-0, Inverurie won 6-3 at Wick  and Formartine United were 5-1 winners at Strathspey Thistle.

In the preliminary round of the Scottish Cup, Cove Rangers hammered Glasgow University 9-1 while Fort William exited the tourney with a 5-0 loss at Edinburgh City.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo