Scottish Government warn football season could be halted after Celtic defender broke coronavirus quarantine rules
Get the Northern Scot sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper
The Scottish Government says the Scottish football season is in serious danger of being called to a halt after a Celtic defender broke coronavirus quarantine rules.
Celtic confirmed Boli Bolingoli flew to Spain before featuring as a substitute in their 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Sunday.
Ross County are due to play Kilmarnock tomorrow night but it is not known if the match will be affected.
The incident happened just days after Aberdeen's match against St Johnstone was postponed after two players tested positive for coronavirus.
It was later revealed eight Aberdeen players broke guidelines by visiting a bar following their 1-0 defeat to Rangers on the opening day of the season.
The eight players at Aberdeen then issued a public apology for their actions.
The Scottish Government released a statement which said the football season could now be forced to pause, with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon expected to speak on the matter at her briefing at lunch time.
The statement said: "The Scottish Government is aware of reports of a Celtic player having broken quarantine rules last week.
"We are currently in discussion with the club and football governing bodies to establish the facts.
"If confirmed as another serious incident within Scottish football, where protocols have been breached at the risk of wider public health, then the Scottish Government will have little choice but to consider whether a pause is now needed in the resumption of the game in Scotland."
Read the latest news from Moray here