Home   News   Article

Moray man has no memory of terrifying two women

By Alistair Whitfield

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

A 29-year-old man drunkenly left two female strangers petrified following separate incidents less than an hour apart in Forres.

Elgin Sheriff Court.
Elgin Sheriff Court.

The first woman was cycling near Sanquhar Loch at 8.45am in the morning when she saw Aaron Byrne running towards her.

Speaking at Elgin Sheriff Court, fiscal depute Shey Treanor said: “He was shouting at her. He called her a ****.

“He grabbed her wrist and and attempted to push her, however she was able to move away. The witness was terrified by what happened.”

The court heard that at 9.30am the same morning the second woman was at home nearby in Green Road, when she saw Byrne outside.

The 29-year-old shouted to her: “Open up, I’m coming to get you.”

He then began throwing plants pots around her garden, before punching a hole in her living room window.

Talking about Byrne, defence solicitor Grant Daglish said: “He was drinking alcohol with friends the evening before – the next thing he’s waking up at the police station.

“He just can’t remember that morning in question at all and is extremely remorseful and embarrassed.

“He’s never been in trouble before and can’t explain his bizarre behaviour.

“It’s a complete one-off, albeit a pretty serious one-off.”

Mr Daglish added that his client had also been left scared by what he had done.

Byne pleaded guilty to two charges of uttering violent threats on September 10, 2022.

Speaking directly to Byrne, Sherriff David Harvie said: “The fact you have no recollection almost makes it worse.

“It must have been terrifying for both of these women. But for your financial circumstances I would make a compensation order

“It’s been said that you have given up drinking excessively, but if you don’t know what caused this you don’t know what ‘excessive’ is for you.”

Sheriff Harvie imposed a community punishment order, forcing Byrne to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work for the community.

The sheriff added: “Make sure this never, ever happens again.

“I tell you if it does you wouldn’t be looking at a community order.”

Byrne, of Market Street, Forres, was also placed under the court’s supervision for a year.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More