Home   News   Article

Moray man jailed for threats to kill

By Ali Morrison

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

A man who lives in Forres has been jailed for trying to force his way into two houses and threatening to kill one of the occupants.

Inverness Sheriff Court.
Inverness Sheriff Court.

Marcin Matraszek appeared by video link at Inverness Sheriff Court yesterday.

He was initially found within a garden in Bogton Road on November 21, 2020.

The 42-year-old reacted violently when confronted by the householder and tried to force his way into the man’s home.

The householder only managed to lock the door by putting his full weight against it.

He called the police as Matraszek banged on the kitchen window and threatened to kill him.

Matraszek then went next door but the neighbour had already been warned of the intruder.

This second householder eventually went to go outside to check if anything had been stolen.

However Matraszek was still there and lunged at him as he opened the door.

Speaking in court, fiscal depute Robert Weir said: "He managed to stop him entering and both men stayed indoors until the police arrived.

"Two officers went to the scene but Matraszek attempted to headbutt one.

"Incapacitant spray was deployed but it had no effect on him and he continued to struggle violently with the officers, kicking one on the leg.

"Three more officers were called to assist.

"Matraszek spat at one officer and the spittle entered his mouth."

The court heard that the officer later had to undergo medical tests for blood-borne diseases as Matraszek had been bleeding from the mouth. However the tests proved negative.

Matraszek, who lives in the flats on Tailwell, was already under a community payback order imposed by the courts for another offence.

Defence Solicitor Matthew O'Neill told Sheriff Sara Matheson that his client was under the influence of alcohol and drugs at the time and could "remember little".

Mr O'Neill added: "He can only apologise to all those involved.

"What he did to the police officer would be disgusting and abhorrent at any time. But, given the times we are living in, it becomes more serious.

"Over the years, there has been a difficult relationship between him and the police as his previous convictions reveal, and the police are perfectly within their rights to be on their guard when dealing with him. He panicked when they got involved.

"He lives a relatively isolated lifestyle and has been attempting to self-medicate for mental health issues, in particular taking valium."

Matraszek, who had already admitted two charges of threatening behaviour and two more of assault, was sentenced to 16 months behind bars.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More