Sentence deferred on Buckie man after 'terrible' assault
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
A CAR passenger was attacked by a 30-year-old Buckie man who had been refused a lift to Keith because the vehicle was full.
Inverness Sheriff Court heard that the victim did not know why he became the victim of a flurry of punches by Alexander Williamson or Cowie of Provost Christie Drive.
The assault in Buckie's Douglas Crescent in the early hours of May 18, 2020 left the victim with a fractured eye socket, bruising and jaw injuries.
Cowie appeared before Sheriff Margaret Neilson and admitted assault to severe injury.
Sentence was deferred until February 28 for a background report as Cowie is subject to a community payback order.
Sheriff Neilson continued Cowie's bail but told defence solicitor Stephen Carty that his client should not read anything into her decision.
She added: "This is a shocking and terrible assault and he has a shocking record."
Fiscal depute David Morton had told the court that Cowie and other men had been drinking for most of the day and asked a neighbour to drive them through to Keith.
"Cowie had been asleep in the house, was wakened and asked to leave."
When Cowie went outside and tried to get in the car, he was pushed out and told there was no room, Mr Morton added.
It was then he launched into the victim who, Mr Morton said, did not know why he was punched three times.
Mr Carty said his client had been in prison before but his CPO was "going well" and a background report may be useful as his client "seems to have turned the corner."