Home   Sport   Article

Elgin City held by hoodoo team Edinburgh City as Jaime Wilson strikes first goal in Elgin colours

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

ELGIN City had to settle for a point in Tuesday night's League Two encounter with hoodoo team Edinburgh City.

Borough Briggs
Borough Briggs

Jaime Wilson scored his first goal of his loan spell at City from Falkirk to earn a share of the spoils.

With top scorer Kane Hester suspended following his red card at Stranraer on Saturday, manager Gavin Price recalled Wilson to the starting line-up

Rory MacEwan was still out with a hamstring pull and Cove Rangers loan midfielder Ross Draper has yet to return from a spell in Covid isolation.

Edinburgh were unbeaten in their last 12 meetings with Elgin, including last season's League 1 play-off which the capital side won with a last minute winner.

The visitors started with some purpose and almost grabbed a fourth minute opener.

John Robertson played Innes Murray down the left and he crossed to the back post where Lucas Berry planted in a firm header which Tom McHale did well to palm away at his post.

Seven minutes later Robertson played the ball across the Elgin box to Danny Handling, whose first shot was blocked and his second effort fizzed just wide of the target.

Elgin’s first effort on goal saw Brian Cameron thread a pass through for Angus Mailer, who shot from outside the box but keeper Brian Schwake dived to his right to make a save.

Mailer also had a strike blocked in a busy goalmouth after Jaime Wilson set him up following good work on the right by Cameron and Euan Spark.

The home side were playing some confident football at this stage but neither side possessed a cutting edge to make a scoring breakthrough.

Aiden Sopel nearly opened the scoring with a close range strike which Schwake stopped on his line, and a minute later Archie Macphee fired a 22 yard free kick just past as City finished the first half strongly.

Elgin forced the play at the start of the second half with a series of corners, biut the first chance fell to Edinburgh’s Jordan Tapping with a strike cleared off the line by City loan defender Grivosti.

The game burst to life with two goals in the space of three minutes.

Edinburgh struck first on 63 minutes when Lucas Berry broke on the right and crossed for Innes Murray to bobble an effort past McHale from close range.

Keen to bury their Edinburgh hoodoo, City hit back quickly when a Matthew Cooper header allowed Wilson to break in behind the visiting defence and fire under Schwake for his first goal for the club.

Edinburgh looked rattled for a spell with Handling and Robertson booked for conceding free kicks in and around their penalty area.

Youngster Fin Allen came on and looked lively for the home side, who pushed hard in search for a winner.

Archie Macphee has a free kick opportunity in the 90th minute but Schwake saved, as City couldn’t find the goal to end their winless streak against Edinburgh.

Elgin: McHale; Grivosti, Cooper, McHardy; Spark, Mailer (O’Keefe 61), Cameron (Allen 67), Macphee; R Dingwall, Sopel (T Dingwall 74); Wilson.

Subs: Peters, Cooney, Lawrence, Machado, Hoban.

Edinburgh: Schwake; Kidd, Bronsky, McKay, Brian (Kane 83); Murray, Berry (Ferguson 76), Tapping, Handling; Robertson (Hilton 71), See (Shanley 83).

Subs: Quate, Reekie, Jarron, Farrell, McFarlane.

Referee: Peter Stuart

Att: 378

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More