Home   News   Article

The Northern Scot's Arlene Fraser and Nat Fraser files: 2003 – Mystery of the empty house

By Features Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003.

A LOVING mum of two goes missing without a word to her family or a note left for her children from whom she has rarely been parted.

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003...Picture: Northern Scot
This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003...Picture: Northern Scot

She takes nothing with her: no personal belongings, no money, her glasses or even her daily medication.

There was washing still in the machine, the vacuum cleaner was still plugged in, clothes were lying over the side of the bath and the top was off her make-up bottle.

There was nothing to suggest anything criminal had occurred there.

Her parents and sister, know­ing she has been under a great deal of stress, plead with her to get in touch, just so they know she is alive and well.

As the days and weeks passed with no word from Arlene Fraser and extensive police inquiries drew a blank, there was only one person who gave the appearance he thought she was alive – her estranged husband Nat Fraser, who was on bail charged with her attempted murder.

He faced the Press for the first time in June 1998, when he made an emotional plea to the TV cam­eras: "Arlene, if you are watching this, please get in touch to let us know that you are safe and well – the children are missing you ter­ribly.

"If you don't want to come just now, please get in touch and tell us you are all right."

Answering questions from reporters in a quiet voice and under obvious strain, Fraser said he had no idea what had hap­pened to his wife.

He told how he had seen his wife the week before her disap­pearance when they had talked about their two children, Jamie (then aged 10) and five-year-old Natalie.

"The children are bearing up well on the outside – but inside, who knows? Our lives have been devastated," he went on.

''It is terribly hard to carry on. Everyone in the family is under pressure. One lives in hope every day."

The Press conference, held at Elgin Police Station, also saw a reward of £20,000 put up – half by Fraser and the remainder by Arlene's family for information leading to her whereabouts if alive, or if she had been the victim of a criminal act, information leading to the conviction of those responsible.

Despite having an alibi, police were sure Fraser knew more about his wife's disap­pearance than he was letting on.

In a TV programme on the mystery of Arlene's disappearance, broadcast a few months later, her mum, Mrs Isobel Thompson said she didn't know what had happened to her daughter; sister Carol Giles said she felt Arlene was dead; Detective Chief Inspector Peter Simpson said it was his opinion she was dead; and best friend Michelle Scott told the interviewer she didn't think she would ever see the mother of two again.

But still Fraser maintained he was living in hope that she was alive and would one day turn up.

Even then, few people who watched his callous charade could have imagined the full horror of the secret he was shielding.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More