Home   News   Article

The Northern Scot's Arlene Fraser and Nat Fraser files: 2003 – Police plea for killer to tell all

By Features Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003.

THE detectives who snared evil Nat Fraser have vowed not to give up their efforts to discov­er exactly why and how his young wife was mur­dered.

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003...Picture: Northern Scot
This story appeared in the Northern Scot, January 31, 2003...Picture: Northern Scot

Officers said this week they will visit him in prison to try to establish the truth of what happened to Arlene on the day she vanished years ago.

Branding him a cold and calculating man, Detective Superintendent Jim Stephen said it was not too late for Fraser to show some form of compassion.

Speaking at a press con­ference in Edinburgh after the former businessman was jailed for life on Wednesday, DS Stephen said: ""It is not too late for him to begin to salvage some decency, some humanity.

"He takes with him to his cell the secrets of that terri­ble day in April, 1998. He knows why Arlene died, he knows how, he knows who murdered her, and he knows what happened to her remains.

"We will be visiting him in prison to try to establish the truth of what happened to Arlene. Only then will we have finished our work.

"It was eventually the tes­timony of Fraser's friend Hector Dick that convinced the jury to find him guilty of murder, but police had gathered other key pieces of evidence which were used to bring him to justice.

A central part of the Crown's case hinged on the sudden reappearance of Arlene's engagement, wed­ding and eternity rings in the family home.

They were discovered on a shelf in the bathroom nine days after her disappearance, arousing suspicions that they had been planted there.

Six months into the inquiry, information emerged about a beige Ford Fiesta which was sold in Elgin the night before Arlene vanished.

Police believed that it was linked to the mystery, possibly being used to take the young mum away from the house.

But it was two years later that detectives finally got the break they needed, when Fraser, serving an 18-month jail sentence for a brutal throttling assault on Arlene five weeks before she went missing, was video-taped during two vis­its from old friend Glenn Lucas.

Although there was no sound on the tape, expert lip reader Jessica Rees was able to translate some of the conversation.

Key phrases such as "arms off," "teeth out" and "they can't find her" gave police the final strand of evidence they needed to charge him with murder.

DS Stephen said that Fraser had not once expressed a word of remorse or sadness for what he had done.

''To this day he has con­sistently denied any part in his wife's disappearance and murder. He could have spared Arlene's family enormous pain had he admitted his part in his wife's death many years ago.

"Brash and bullish though he is, he seriously under-estimated our deter­mination to investigate his wife's murder and did what he could to tarnish her char­acter and throw us off the trail.

"Day after day we chipped away at the seem­ingly impenetrable wall of silence Fraser had put in our way, searching for evi­dence which has ultimately proved his guilt and sent him to prison for a very long time.

"At a cost of £2 million, the case has been the most expensive criminal enquiry ever undertaken by Grampian Police. But it was an investigation that the force was committed to see­ing through to the bitter end.

Detective Inspector Alan Smith, deputy senior inves­tigating officer on the case, said the determination of officers to bring the killer to justice drove them on.

He added: "I have been privileged to work with a team of officers who throughout the investigation displayed the highest level­ of integrity, motivation, commitment and profes­sionalism.

''There were times when we never could have imagined getting this case into the High Court and some brave decisions were taken along the way to get us here."

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More