Home   News   Article

The Northern Scot's Arlene Fraser and Nat Fraser files: 2012 – Scrap dealer contradicts evidence on burned-out car

By Features Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, May 25, 2012.

MURDER accused Nat Fraser has chosen to keep silent about the 14-year-old mystery of what happened to his estranged wife.

This story appeared in the Northern Scot, May 25, 2012...Picture: Northern Scot
This story appeared in the Northern Scot, May 25, 2012...Picture: Northern Scot

At the start of Fraser’s defence case this week, the jury was told by his QC, John Scott: “Mr Fraser will not be giving evidence. ”

Financial adviser James Smith (57), of Rothienorman, near Inverurie, described Fraser as “jovial” after they talked about the kind of settlement Arlene could expect.

Mr Smith said he told his client that very little value would be put on the fruit and veg business Fraser helped run.

“I put his mind at rest on the issue,” he said.

“He seemed relatively unconcerned, quite relaxed and jovial.”

The trial also heard that the Frasers both had life insurance, but no money has been paid out.

Douglas Williamson (64), managing director of scrap merchant J. Gordon Williamson in Elgin, was questioned about a beige Ford Fiesta which police believed could hold important evidence about what had happened to Arlene.

Farmer Hector Dick (56), a former friend of Fraser, told the trial that he burned the car, flattened the wreck and delivered it to the Moycroft Road scrapyard on May 4, 1998.

“I don’t believe that to be true,” said Mr Williamson.

His son, Scott (37), and driver Scott Symon (40), also said they could not remember Mr Dick delivering a Fiesta on a trailer towed by his tractor.

“I can say without a doubt that I did not unload any trailer belonging to Hector Dick containing a burned-out car,” Scott Williamson told police re-investigating the case in November, 2006.

“Anything I said back then, I stand by,” he told the trial this week.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More