Home   News   Article

Banned Moray driver spotted on road in Elgin and Forres three times in one day


By Ali Morrison

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.



A banned motorist will have to wait to learn his fate after being caught behind the wheel.

Sammy Baker was disqualified from driving for 18 months at Inverness Sheriff Court back in March .

However, on September 8, he was seen driving along Elgin High Street in a blue Audi by an off-duty policeman.

The policeman reported the incident, which was logged onto the force's data base.

Later that same day at about 4.30pm, another off-duty policeman witnessed the 30-year-old driving through Pluscarden and Rafford.

Baker was seen once more driving though Forres at 5.30pm.

Ten minutes later the car was found parked up on Old Mint Road in the town.

Baker was not around.

However, depute fiscal Karen Poke told Elgin Sheriff Court that officers found the vehicle's bonnet and break pads were still "very hot", indicating it had only recently come to a halt.

The police called round to Baker's home which is just around the corner at St Laurence Court.

Ms Poke said: "The accused was asked whether he had been driving the vehicle, to which he replied 'no comment'.

"But when told that it was going to be seized, the accused reached into the pocket of his jeans and pulled out the keys."

Speaking to the defendant, Sheriff David Mackie said: "You have learnt the hard way that if you are disqualified you can't just go on driving. You are backing the court into a corner."

However, Sheriff Mackie declined to pass sentence today.

Instead, the matter will be dealt with at a future date when Baker is due to return to the same court.


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More