Home   Sport   Article

Highland League round-up: Buckie Thistle lose ground on leaders Brechin City after Deveronvale stalemate and Keith defeat Huntly to maintain unbeaten run

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Buckie Thistle’s habit of conceding vital Highland League points to bottom half sides continued in Banff on Saturday.

Badly needing a win at Deveronvale to keep their title tilt alive, Jags drew a blank as they were held to a 0-0 draw at Princess Royal Park.

With leaders Brechin City winning 2-1 at Wick Academy, Buckie now find themselves nine points behind the leaders with two games in hand.

Craig Tosh’s 73rd minute strike gave City the three points, with Grady McGrath’s 33rd goal of the season cancelled out by Kyle Henderson’s 28th minute equaliser for Wick.

Keith stretched their impressive unbeaten run to ten matches with a 1-0 win at home to Huntly.

Gavin Elphinstone continued his fine run of scoring by slotting home his tenth goal of the season four minutes after the break to bring down his former club.

There was another goalless draw at The Haughs, where Turriff United and Lossiemouth couldn’t break each other down.

Forres Mechanics went down 4-0 at home to Formartine United. Paul Campbell got the only goal of the first half and Aaron Reid, Julian Wade and Adam Emslie added to the visitors’ tally.

The outcome was the same in Grantown where Nairn County struck four times to defeat bottom side Strathspey Thistle. Aaron Nicolson, Calum MacKay and Andrew MacLeod scored before half time and Alasdair Gillies netted after the break.

A first half Connor Bunce strike was enough to give Clach a 1-0 success over Banks O’ Dee.

In the Highland League Cup final at Harlaw Park, Brora Rangers beat Fraserburgh on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Scott Barbour’s first half goal for Broch was cancelled out by Tom Kelly’s 57th minute leveller, and the Cattachs won 5-4 on spot kicks after Joe Malin saved Fraserburgh’s second penalty taken by Sean Butcher.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More