Home   Sport   Article

Buckie Thistle one step away from ending seven-year trophy wait after thumping hosts Fraserburgh to reach Aberdeenshire Cup final where they will play Inverurie Locos

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Another cup final awaits Buckie Thistle after Wednesday night's 5-2 victory at Fraserburgh in the semi-finals of the Aberdeenshire Cup final.

Jack Murray scored twice to fire Buckie into the Shire Cup final. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Jack Murray scored twice to fire Buckie into the Shire Cup final. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

Jags will meet Inverurie Locos, who defeated Aberdeen 2-1 in the other semi at Harlaw Park - the Aberdeenshire FA had set out the weekend of Saturday April 20 as the date of the final, still to be confirmed.

Could it be the end of Buckie's seven-year wait for silverware? They last picked up honours when they won the Highland League title in April 2017.

They were 3-1 up at half time at Bellslea Park thanks to goals by Lyall Keir, Jack MacIver and Jack Murray with Ross Aitken replying for Broch.

Murray's second and a fifth from sub Marcus Goodall wrapped things up for Jags with Aidan Sopel managing a stoppage time consolation for the home side.

Locos came from behind against a young Dons side, who led through an Alfie Bavidge goal before a Myles Gaffney double took the Highland League side to the final.

Three Highland League games shared 17 goals with the bulk of them scored by one team.

At Kynoch Park, Keith made it five games undefeated with a 1-1 draw against Nairn County.

Ex-Deveronvale man Horace Ormsby's first goal for Nairn had the visitors in front at half time with Jordan Cooper levelling midway through the second half.

Vale moved out of the bottom two with a fine 3-1 win at neighbours Turriff United.

Latest Highland League table
Latest Highland League table

Teenager Jack Mitchell continued his superb first Highland League season with his sixth goal of the season for Vale on just three minutes.

It stayed 1-0 until early in the second half when Vale skipper Harry Noble crashed in a second, and Rogan Read added a third before John Allan pulled one back for United.

Brora Rangers won 10-1 at bottom club Strathspey Thistle, scoring eight times in the second half.

Goals by Paul Brindle (2), Millar Gamble, Tony Dingwall (3), Martin Maclean, Kyle MacLeod (2) and James Wallace clocked up the Cattachs' double figures.

Strathspey, who found the net through Alan Kerr, broke through the 100-goals-conceded barrier in the league, and they still have ten fixtures to play.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More