Home   Sport   Article

Forres Mechanics throw a spanner in the works of Brechin City's Highland League title challenge and Buckie Thistle defeat Banks O' Dee to strengthen position

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

The Highland League title chase took another twist on Wednesday night as leaders Brechin City had a surprise lapse.

Josh Peters helped Buckie Thistle beat Banks O' Dee. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Josh Peters helped Buckie Thistle beat Banks O' Dee. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

City dropped two points in a 1-1 draw at 15th placed Forres Mechanics, while Buckie Thistle closed the gap by defeating second-placed Banks O' Dee.

Brechin and Buckie look like being the two main contenders, setting up the possibility of a battle to the death for the second season running.

Latest league table.
Latest league table.

Forres did their Moray rivals a favour by pegging Brechin back in a tight encounter at Mosset Park.

After a goalless first 45 minutes, Brechin brought on top scorer Grady McGrath who immediately scored his 30th goal of the season with possibly his first touch.

That seemed to set the visitors up for victory but their centre back Hamish Thomson turned the ball into his own net on 69 minutes to level the scores, and neither side could find a winner.

It was also goalless at the break at Victoria Park before Buckie stepped up their game in the second half.

Josh Peters and Andy MacAskill both netted in a six-minute spell to floor Dee, who managed a late consolation through Ethan Cairns.

A stoppage time James Wallace goal earned Brora Rangers a 2-1 win over Nairn County, a result which took the Cattachs above their opponents in the table.

Kyle Macleod put Brora ahead ten minutes before half time with Callum Maclean levelling for County on 65 minutes.

Bottom club Strathspey Thistle took another pasting at the hands of a travelling Wick Academy side.

Wick surged into a 4-0 lead after 38 minutes as Jack Halliday, Mark Macadie (2) and Marc MacGregor all netted.

Owen Loveland's penalty pulled one back for Jags after the break but Gary Pullen and Ross Gunn added two more for a 6-1 Scorries' success.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More