Home   Sport   Article

Gunn double fires Elgin to victory

By Chris Saunderson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

A DOUBLE from Craig Gunn kept Elgin City's terrrific start to the season on track with a 2-0 win over East Stirling.

Gunn took his tally for the season to a magnificent seven and earned himself the man of the match award in the process.

The result sees City climb to second place in the Irn Bru Third Division table.

Elgin had to dig deep to get the points and were unable to put together a flowing performance against a decent 'Shire side.

The Borough Briggs side had a major scare after 18 minutes when Alastair Love latched onto a long ball and rounded keeper Zander Clark, but he sliced his right foot effort horribly wide of the empty goal.

Clark had earlier produced a good save to deny Love and Jordyn Sheerin fired over with an overhead kick as the visitors started strongly.

Elgin began to force their way into the game and were handed a gilt-edged chance to take the lead when Graeme Beveridge's fierce close range effort was blocked by the hands of David Cane in the 27th minute.

Gunn's superb penalty produced a stunning save from Calum Antell who somehow managed to tip his driven effort onto the crossbar and behind for a corner.

However, just seconds later Daniel Moore's inswinging corner was missed by Antell and Gunn peeled off at the back post to fire home the opener.

East Stirling had a sense of purpose in the second half and dominated possession for large periods.

City struggled to get their game going but they were resolute at the back and Clark was scarcely troubled.

Elgin secured the points 10 minutes from the end when a City corner was not properly cleared by the East Stirling defence and Gunn reacted quickest to nip in and fire home from 12 yards.

Moore came close to adding a third in the closing stages but Antell produced another great save.

Manager Ross Jack told 'The Scot': "It was a very workmanlike performance. We had a couple of let-offs in the first 15 minutes, particularly when the boy went round Zander but shot wide.

"That was a wake-up call for us because we had not started the game well at all.

"The goals came at the right time for us. It was a great save from the keeper from Gunny's penalty but he had the presence to peel off at the back post from the corner and get the goal.

"We knew East Stirling would have lots of possession but I never felt they hurt us too much. The second goal came at a great time."

Jack had targeted 12 points from the first four games but after three straight home wins, they have given themselves a great platform.

"We have got to go to Peterhead next and we will have to play better than we did today."

The only downside from the game was the early injury to on-loan Ross County full-back Archie MacPhee who suffered ankle ligament damages and hobbled out of Borough Briggs on crutches.

"That's not very nice for Archie as he had settled into the team well. He is likely to be out for three to four weeks," said Jack.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More