Home   Sport   Article

Highland League round-up: Buckie Thistle beat champions Fraserburgh, Rothes draw and defeats for Forres Mechanics, Keith and Lossiemouth

By Jonathan Clark

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

BUCKIE Thistle have set down a title marker after securing an impressive 2-1 victory over last season's Highland League champions Fraserburgh at Victoria Park.

After beating Wick Academy 2-1 at home on opening day, the Jags did the same to the Broch – again scoring a winner in the last 15 minutes.

Buckie took the lead on 53 minutes through Kevin Fraser, before a Paul Campbell strike with 20 minutes left to play levelled the scores.

Andy MacAskill's 75th minute penalty, after Kieran Simpson fouled Kyle MacLeod, proved to be the winning goal.

Buckie Thistle's Sam Urquhart (right) and Andy MacAskill celebrate. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Buckie Thistle's Sam Urquhart (right) and Andy MacAskill celebrate. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

Buckie are one of four teams to have won both their opening matches – along with Brora Rangers, Brechin City and Formartine United.

Brechin were made to work hard for their second win by a Forres Mechanics side that again had a forward sent off in the first period – with teenager Ben Barron seeing red after half an hour.

Kevin McHattie – who scored an injury time winner at Mosset Park in a 1-0 win for Brechin last season – was the match-winner for City, with a 25th minute strike.

Brora were also made to work hard for three points by Turriff United, who took the lead through Aaron Reid at the start of the second half.

But goals from former Elgin City man Tony Dingwall and Jordan MacRae completed a turnaround win for the Cattachs.

Formartine United were convincing winners over Strathspey Thistle – knocking the visitors for six.

A hat-trick from Jonathan Smith, a brace from Julian Wade and a Mark Gallagher goal gave the Pitmedden side a 6-1 success. Former Dufftown forward Ben Cullen grabbed his first goal for Strathspey.

There was disappointment for the remainder of Moray's sides, although Rothes did at least have a point to celebrate with a 2-2 draw away at Nairn County.

41-year-old Steven Mackay grabbed his first goal in tangerine, with Michael Finnis also hitting the back of the net. Andy Greig bagged a double for the home side.

Lossiemouth went down to a second defeat in two games as goals from Dane Ballard and Kyle MacKillop-Hall saw them lose 2-0 to Deveronvale at Princess Royal Park.

Keith were beaten 1-0 away at Wick Academy thanks to Gordon MacNab's goal on 47 minutes, with the Maroons ending with 10 men after Ryan Robertson saw red just before the hour mark.

Huntly are one of four sides – along with Lossiemouth, Keith and Strathy – who remain pointless after two matches. The Black and Golds were beaten 1-0 at home by Clachnacuddin thanks to a Connor Bunce goal.

The final game of the weekend saw Highland League newcomers Banks o' Dee draw 1-1 for the second time in succession, this time against Inverurie Loco Works.

Fergus Alberts gave Locos the lead at Harlaw Park before a second half equaliser from Magnus Watson saw the game end all square.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More