Home   Sport   Article

Keith Football Club run Highland League title chasers Brechin City close in Kynoch Park clash

By Charlie Simpson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Lady Luck certainly didn’t smile on Keith on Tuesday night when they went toe-to-toe with league leaders Brechin City.

Keith's Michael Taylor (right) hit the crossbar against Brechin. Picture: Beth Taylor.
Keith's Michael Taylor (right) hit the crossbar against Brechin. Picture: Beth Taylor.

The Maroons matched their high-flying opponents all the way, but were hit by a superb 20-yarder from Kevin McHattie midway through the second half. Then two minutes into stoppage time Mikey Taylor was thwarted by the crossbar with the goalie all at sea.

Keith as a squad, were outstanding the entire evening, including stand in goalie Darren “Mini” McConnachie. “Mini” came out of retirement with Craig Reid away on business, and the 40-year-old was simply impeccable throughout the 90 minutes.

The veteran custodian showed his class in the early stages, denying Ewan Loudon and Murray MacKintosh. It wasn’t all one-way traffic though and Craig Gill forced a save out of Lenny Wilson with a powerful 20-yarder.

Three minutes after half time, eager beaver Gavin Elphinstone ended a quickfire move by forcing a fine stop out of Wilson again. Although Brechin were trying to turn the screw, the homesters were not for capitulating, but then with 66 minutes played came the only goal of the game, with McConnachie helpless for once.

Not to be brow-beaten by the league leaders, the Maroons battled bravely back and a flurry of substitutions saw them with a four-pronged spearhead. Justice seemed to be done in the period of stoppage time when three subs combined brilliantly for a chance.

Jordan Lynch raced up the right wing and pinged a perfect pass into the path of wee Nathan McKeown who twisted and turned, leaving Nathan Cooney on his back side. The wee guy cut the ball into the danger area and Taylor had the cruellest of luck in seeing his effort hit the woodwork.

Following that blow, visiting manager Gavin Price was red carded for complaining bitterly that Cooney had been fouled. There was a distinct sigh of relief in the Brechin camp when the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of the game just over a couple of minutes later.

Keith: McConnachie, Addison (Yeats), Buchan (McKeown), Coull, Robertson, Gill, Elphinstone, Brownie, Duncan (Lynch), Tough (Ironside), Killoh (Taylor). Subs: Cooper, Macleod.

Ref: D Nicolson.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More