Home   Sport   Article

PICTURES: Buckie Thistle leave it late to see off Turriff United

By Kyle Ritchie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

A goal from Max Barry was enough for Buckie Thistle to claim victory at Turriff on Saturday and keep themselves in the Highland League title hunt.

The visitors had an early chance when the ball came out to Barry but he sent his shot wide of the target.

A Turriff opportunity saw the ball swung into Kyle Gordon who got a header on to it which he could not guide home.

Ewan Clark made a decent run towards goal for the hosts and his effort was saved by Buckie goalkeeper Bal Demus

The visitors has an opportunity when Josh Peters hit a strike which was just wide of the right post.

The Jags were applying the pressure and Barry got another effort away which flashed past the goal and went out for a corner. From the set piece the ball eventually got to Joe McCabe whose overhead kick did not hit the target.

At the other end Dylan Stuart made a good run and hit a shot which was weak and caused no problems for Demus.

Clark was then gifted a loose pass from Buckie which he latched on to. During his run he was under pressure from the Buckie defence and he sent his strike over the goal.

The visitors responded when Kyle MacLeod in the United box headed the ball towards the net, however, it was not strong enough and was saved by Turriff goalkeeper David Dey.

A ball from the hosts was played to Clark who tried a speculative long range effort which was caught by Demus.

Just before half-time, Thistle were awarded a free-kick which was taken by Barry who curled it just over the crossbar.

After the break Buckie had a chance when the ball came to Peters who hit the post with his shot.

The visitors were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the United box which was taken by Sam Pugh and saved by Dey.

Turriff's first opportunity of the half was from Reece McKeown who fired an effort at goal which went wide of the left post.

At the other end the ball was played to Peters in a good position who could not find the target with his strike.

A Buckie pass was hit into Lewis McKinnon in the home box who was unable to get anything on the ball and he clattered into the Turriff keeper.

United's Murray Cormack made a positive run and crossed a ball into the Buckie six-yard area which was gathered by Demus.

The visitors then broke the deadlock when Barry hit a shot off the outside of his boot and it curled into the net for what would be the only goal of the game.

The Jags had an opportunity to increase their lead when the ball was played to Peters who ran towards goal. He was under pressure from the Turriff defence though and sent his effort over the bar.

The striker threatened again shortly after, however, his strike swung wide while travelling in the air and went out of play.

A Buckie pass was played to substitute Scott Adams whose chance was weak and dealt with by Dey.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More